PDA

View Full Version : Discus facing off

crazie.eddie
10-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I have 2 discus that often face each other off, an RT (about 5" or so) and Red Melon (about 4" or so). The RT is supposed to be a confirmed male. Could I assume that the Red Melon is male also? I could post a video of them if interested.

billeagan
10-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Eddie,

How are things going? Facing off would not necessarily indicate a male.

I would guess its a territorial thing. Post a pic and we can guess whether its a male or female...

Bill

crazie.eddie
10-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Doing good, thanks for asking Bill :)

I've seen the RT chasing some of the discus away, but when it comes to this one Red melon, the melon will try to stand it's ground and they face off, but eventually, the melon backs off.

I'll post a vid when I get a chance.

metfan581
10-29-2006, 02:11 PM
(dont mean to steal the thread) but...
I am having the same problem between my redmelon and redturquoise...
and i am wonder the same question what should i do....

thanks,
metfan581

crazie.eddie
10-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Funny. 2 different melons and RT's facing off. Is there some kind of rival among the 2 groups? LOL

Unless they're causing any injury towards one another, I would just leave them. It's normal.

I'm just curious about mine facing off is becuase the RT is supposed to be confirmed male, so I am curious about the Red Melon maybe a male also.

pcsb23
10-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Must be a gang thing ;) Likely that its territorial, if they are youngish fish then its probably boys (and girls for that matter) being boys. I am always fascinated at the changing dynamics with discus as they grow and mature. Provided its a decent sized group and all get their share of food its a healthy thing so don't worry too much.

metfan581
10-30-2006, 03:21 PM
eddie thanks...and yes that is funny...lol

thanks pcsb23

traco
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I've got 2 females who face off to each other and also a male and female who face off.

greyhoundfan
10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
I've seen the movie Face Off.. Kind of weird.

I have an overly agressive Red Turq too!! Must be in the strain.