PDA

View Full Version : Never get tired of .....

Green Country Discus
10-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Angela posted a pic in our spotlight of a cross we are trying. Thought I would update with...;) 6 day old fry :D . This is a good example of how a Blue Diamond will darken with fry attached. Enjoy......

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0045.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0022.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0021.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0018.jpg

Elite Aquaria
10-31-2006, 10:07 PM
Andrew,

That is one of the best Blue Diamonds that I have ever seen. I love the high body/high fins. Not to mention the beauty of all the fry. Is that the male or the female? Just one I start to think my fish are starting to look good either you or Mario have to set me back a few light years. :p

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I can never get enough of good quality discus.

Dan

Green Country Discus
10-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Dan for the kind words. This is the male with the fry. We find that the men get-ur-done better with the fry raising.We are looking for solid F1's in light blue/white. F2's will tell the story if this is a good mix. We will see what happens. Both parents have some quality to give the fry ;) .

Kenny's Discus
10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Wow look at that proud, handsome parent with his babies! Definitely 1 of the best frys on their parents pics I've seen and that's with an awesome looking dad...great job!

Kenny
ps: are you trying to create some Blue Butterflies here Andrew(and Angela)?:) Wishing you the most success!

Green Country Discus
10-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Hmm...Kenny...Blueflies..;) LOL..!! Just rolling the genetic dice. Sure its been done before...but.. not with the exact fish? How are you my friend?? Hope all is well!

turkis
10-31-2006, 10:58 PM
Hey Andrew,
That's a nice looking pair and with fry to boot, good luck with them.
Mario

:) :) :) :)

Kindredspirit
11-01-2006, 02:33 AM
Hey Andrew ~ that is a great picture of the discus darkening...why do they get darker? I am not sure I read the reasoning behind that ~ Stress?

Marie ~ :bandana:

Ryan
11-01-2006, 02:51 AM
why do they get darker? I am not sure I read the reasoning behind that ~ Stress?

Partially maybe, because I'm sure raising that many babies is stressful on parents... but also to attract the fry to their sides to feed. That's one of the reasons why a lot of people had trouble getting fry to attach to light-colored fish like White Butterflies or Snow Whites.

Ryan

ping
11-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Andrew, that's a very nice BD :).

Ronny

Jessie555
11-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Hey Andrew ~ that is a great picture of the discus darkening...why do they get darker? I am not sure I read the reasoning behind that ~ Stress?

Marie ~ :bandana:

Marie, nothing to do with stress, it's how the parents atracked the fry to come to them. this is why breeding Discus gives you goosebumps.
If you see one of the parents dark with the fry, the other parent comes, color up dark, the one who has the fry colors back to normal and you see the fry jump over to the dark one........ohhhhh I wish I had more time.

"Jessie"

by the way, very nice pair A & A.

t_j
11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Great pictures Andrew!!! I love your BD. Keep us updated on those fry I would love to see how they come out.:)

Kindredspirit
11-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Partially maybe, because I'm sure raising that many babies is stressful on parents... but also to attract the fry to their sides to feed. That's one of the reasons why a lot of people had trouble getting fry to attach to light-colored fish like White Butterflies or Snow Whites.

Ryan

Thatz right! To attract the fry to the side ~ I had forgotten...So Ryan it is perhaps harder to breed WB because of this?

Marie, nothing to do with stress, it's how the parents atracked the fry to come to them. this is why breeding Discus gives you goosebumps.
If you see one of the parents dark with the fry, the other parent comes, color up dark, the one who has the fry colors back to normal and you see the fry jump over to the dark one........ohhhhh I wish I had more time.

...Jessie ~ More time to explain or more time to watch such an event? I wish I cld see this! That wld be amazing! Thanks for sharing:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

robust discus
11-23-2006, 10:28 PM
excellent fishes. Exceptionally healthy.

Lisachromis
11-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Fry on parent pics are always nice!

Green Country Discus
11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Its been about 3 weeks. I sure am glad Simply is back up and running. Thanks Al,Ryan and Paul for all your hard work. Thought I would give some update pics of this spawn. We moved dad when they were about 3 weeks old. They are now split in two tanks. It's real hard to get a good shot at this age. They won't hold still. The last 2 pics are today. Their B day is 10-25-06 ;) .
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0018-1.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0017-1.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0021-1.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0001.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0029a.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h185/aagreencountrydiscus/PICT0060.jpg

LizStreithorst
11-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Oh my word they are GORGEOUS!
I love that last pic. Looks like a baby breeding pair about to make runs up the galss.

traco
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Gorgeous parents and I can't believe how quickly the fry grow! I love the shots. Oh, to witness something like that would be so cool!

Green Country Discus
11-27-2006, 09:24 AM
Liz and Barb, thanks for the kind words. They are growing nicely ;) .

Kenny's Discus
11-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Wow I love the uniformity of the roundness of the whole batch Andrew! I don't think I could cull many because of your great work raising them!:)

WTG my friend!

Kenny

pcsb23
11-27-2006, 10:57 AM
They look really good Andrew. Can't wait to see how they colour up.

Kindredspirit
11-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Wow guys!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_2.gif Now did you use a flash? And are all your settings on auto? I am having a hard time snapping pics of my new babies:(

But that is one awesome picture!! Beautiful! When you guys come out to the ACA next year you can pop over and show me how YOU take pics:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

fishmama
11-28-2006, 01:03 AM
OMG-

I LOVE those guys! What a beautiful crop. Don't be surprised if the Discus Grinch comes down from KC and steals those beauties!!!

Keep us updated,
Lisa

Green Country Discus
11-28-2006, 09:46 AM
Kenny, Paul and Lisa, thanks for the kind words.

Marie, most of the pics are flash on. I find with little fast moving fry that getting a pic in focus is easier with the flash on. Getting a good pic is pure luck IMO, just have to take a bunch of pics ;) . It would/will be fun to meet you in person Marie :) . I will update in a couple of weeks.

brewmaster15
12-02-2006, 01:11 AM
Hi Andrew!

Those fry look great! Fill me in a little on what you see.....any pepper on the fry? how about bars? does it look like the PB genes dominated?

I have heard it said that BD is recessive...so it should be interesting to see if this cross throws any.. Please take lots of photos as time goes on! This cross is a great experiment!

thanks,
al

Kindredspirit
12-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Marie, most of the pics are flash on. I find with little fast moving fry that getting a pic in focus is easier with the flash on. Getting a good pic is pure luck IMO, just have to take a bunch of pics ;) . It would/will be fun to meet you in person Marie :) . I will update in a couple of weeks.

I knew you were going to say they were with the flash on Andrew! lol! The flash and I do not get along I am afraid:mad:

Oh Yes ~ I think we all will have a ton of fun, Sir ~ A Ton:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

Elite Aquaria
12-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Any updated pics?

Green Country Discus
12-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Hello Al, I will post some pics taken today. The camera was not set for proper date LOL. We are seeing some faint metallic type bars on some and some pepper but not a lot as you can see. We have already started the cull process, as usual, so we will see what comes out. They are starting to show a little color. It looks like most will be clean ;) .

Green Country Discus
12-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Couple of more pics. These guys are around 5 weeks old.

Green Country Discus
01-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Thought I would share some updated pics. I tried to show the variance among the group. I just took some fast pics and they are not that great.

Kenny's Discus
01-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow I love them Andrew they look great! As usual, these frys have the signature of Green Country Discus' fat, nice and round body shapes.;) Great job again my friend! Are you taking pre-orders for these beauties yet?:)

Keep up the great work Andrew & Angela.:)
Kenny

Green Country Discus
01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words Kenny. These are not for sale. Maybe after F3. Again, thanks my friend ;) .

turkis
01-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Thought I would share some updated pics. I tried to show the variance among the group. I just took some fast pics and they are not that great.

Those discus look real good, nice pictures too and keep up the good work.
Mario

;) ;) ;)

Green Country Discus
01-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Mario, hard to compete with the likes of you and the quality of your collection. Thanks for the comment ;) .

greyhoundfan
01-08-2007, 11:37 PM
your little guys/gals always have attitude. Swimming around with high erect fins..like they own the joint.. gotta love it.

trusty
01-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Very nice fish the babies look awesomo.....;p

Darren's Discus
01-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Hi Andrew & Angela wondered if you had some updated pics of these guys would love to have a look.

cheers

Green Country Discus
01-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I will try and get some new pics this weekend. :D Thanks for your comments!

Erica & Robi
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow! Thank you Andrew & Angela. Going through this thread is darn close to getting to actually watch the entire progression. Great photos and very impressive young. The parents are also gorgeous. I can't wait to see how the young discus will continue to grow and fill out.

GrillMaster
01-21-2007, 02:48 AM
Well just how nice are those guys!!

I can see tanks for me in the future...Alot of tanks!! ;) :D

Green Country Discus
01-27-2007, 01:31 PM
I never got around to posting pics last weekend so I will show a few from last night. They are about 2 months old. They do change fast. There are some LSS X Leopard in some of the pics.

Green Country Discus
02-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Some updates to share. The group shot was with a flash and the true colors are a bit off.

Kenny's Discus
02-19-2007, 09:20 AM
They're awesome looking Andrew and Angela! They look as healthy and vibrant as one can expect them to be. I'm seeing nothing but beauties down the road!:thumbsup:

Have fun watching them grow my friend.;)

Kenny

Kindredspirit
02-19-2007, 10:03 AM
The group shot was with a flash and the true colors are a bit off.

I totally agree ~ with the flash IME most times I do not get the true colors at all ~ esp on my Blue Diamond ~ he looks green ~

These guys look great Angela!

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_3_16.gif

Green Country Discus
02-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Kenny, as always, thanks for the kind words and I think they will be interesting to grow out and see what the next generation brings ;) .

Marie, this is Bob's thread LOL :D :D :D ! Keep smiling. Hope you are feeling better!!!

Kindredspirit
02-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Marie, this is Bob's thread LOL :D :D :D ! Keep smiling. Hope you are feeling better!!!

Oh Dear ~ so it is so it is! lol!! Sorry Bob!

I am feeling better and thanks for asking Andrew:) Hey Andrew....my discus ate today! She ate my bh ~ gobbled that right up! I was just thrilled ~

greyhoundfan
02-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Beautiful!!

Flashes pointed directly at fish always distorts the color.. it's pretty tough. Gotta do what Dan does, put Strong Light above tank and take pic with out flash. Or use an external flash and place above tank.

That is my goal now.. still haven't put the $$ down yet..:(

Kindredspirit
02-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey Reid ~ I never use a flash when I take pictures.....perhaps once or twice but normally never ~ I have no special lightening I use:)

Ardan
02-25-2007, 07:02 AM
Great photo sequence and some really nice discus! I really like those pics early on especially of the fry on the parents back. Awesome photos:)
You folks really do a nice job with the discus:) Very picky with your stock and a lot of care.

Ardan

Green Country Discus
04-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Ardan, never thanked you for the kind words. Its cold outside so we have been playing with the camera and thought I would update on this x with a few pics. We have culled to about a dozen. The group shot does have some turks in it, this x is the light ones. We may or may not go to f-2. Only time will tell?? What do you think?

Darren's Discus
04-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Andrew and Angela,
they look beautiful thanks for updating there progress real nice !!

cheers

Green Country Discus
05-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Thought I would update with a few pics. Interesting how this experiment is progressing. Do notice the subtle purple in the anal and dorsal areas on some . This was a surprise to us. We do intend to play out this cross for several generations. We do have some work to do to clean up some issues we do not like and try and fix the things we do like.

Kindredspirit
05-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Do notice the subtle purple in the anal and dorsal areas on some .

It looks pinkish to me, guys:p So how old are these guys now? You two are amazing!

Kenny's Discus
05-26-2007, 01:47 AM
Keep up the great work Andrew and Angela.:thumbsup: I also like that subtle blue color...they added a very beautiful and interesting overall look to the appearance of the fish. Do keep us posted as they grow my friends.

Kenny

Green Country Discus
05-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Marie, LOL, I had to go back and check the first post. Looks like they are 7 months and 4.5" +. Angela said she saw pink, I see purple, you could be right :p. We will see in a couple of months how this first generation plays out. Thanks for the kind words.

Kenny my friend, hope all is well with you!! The blue in the anal and dorsal is something we both like. They all have some pepper, that we don't like. We will take the cleanest and try for F2 to see what we get. It's all fun. Do take care my friend ;).

pcsb23
05-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Interesting results Andrew - so far :)

looks purplish to me too but... showing some promise there too. I think the fish in the first pic shows potential fwiw.

jczz1232
05-28-2007, 04:48 AM
Andrew they looking great. Let us know how it turns out.
:D:D
John

phidelt85
05-28-2007, 09:32 AM
I'll go out on a limb and say they have a lavender look to them. :D
The pinkish cheeks almost makes them look like they're blushing.

Andrew, those are definitely sweet lookin' fish. Most definitely impressed.

Jason
05-28-2007, 04:55 PM
nice work guys!

I tried this cross before and about 50% of the F2's looked like blue/whites with amber eyes. Your f1's look alot better than mine did, much cleaner.

Green Country Discus
08-19-2007, 10:55 AM
We are getting some much needed rain this morning. Thought I would up-date with some pics since I can't go outside ;). The heavly striated Discus is from the same spawn. Let me know what you think.

Condor
08-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Really neat to see how they progressed, great thread. I like 'em.

Adrian:)

Discus_KC
08-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Super Clean Andrew !!!!

Jack

Green Country Discus
08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Adrian, they have been fun to raise. I will probably post next time with these with fry on their backs. That will tell if there is something in this cross worth keeping ;).

Jack, as always, thanks for the kind words my friend!

forrest
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
wow andrew,
this is for sure a very nice cross.i believe it will be even better looking on next generation n seems like they will produce fishes like 'mercury'(whole fish in whitish blue without striation) as well.
thank u very much for sharing such a wonderful cross.

best regards,
forrest.

phidelt85
08-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Andrew, those look sweeter than the last time I saw them. Keep it up, they are awesome!!!

Green Country Discus
08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Forest, thanks for the kind words. As for this cross, only time will tell and we have time to try a couple more generations.

Jose my friend. We need to hook up again. It is always a lot of fun. Say Hi to Jenny for us and thanks for the nice comments ;).

t_j
08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Andrew, they really are coming out vary nice. Do keep us updated!!!

Green Country Discus
11-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Well, we got the camera out today and brushed off the cobwebs and took a few pics. Here ya go on this up-date.

Kindredspirit
11-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Okay ~ if you guys can produce a pink discus, could you try for a lavender one?

Just for me?:D:D

Or....

phidelt85
11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
WOW!! They really look pink! Those are looking even better than the last time, you two. I really like em.

tbrat
11-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Dangit!!!:( I knew I should have called before leaving the lake today to come home to see if I could stop by for a visit!! But thought it better to get back home after being gone all weekend. Completely pissed at myself now for not doing so!
Those are some great looking fish especially that pink one..Love It!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

take care and have fun!
brat

Condor
11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Very unique, Andrew. Thanks for the update.

Green Country Discus
11-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys, pink was/is not the aim....thus none to share yet LOL! But thanks for the kind words!

phidelt85
11-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey Andrew, I think you should roll with it. They can be the new mascot for the fight against Breast Cancer. :)

AADiscus
02-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Just a little update.

Elite Aquaria
02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
They look fantastic

Darren's Discus
02-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Angela and Andrew,
simply stunning fish.

cheers

phidelt85
02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
WOW!! They look super sweet! Can't wait to see 'em when I come up :D

Kindredspirit
02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Okay ~ if you guys can produce a pink discus, could you try for a lavender one?

Just for me?:D:D

Or....

I might come back if you produced a Periwinkle discus:)

AADiscus
02-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Jose, you will be amazed at how they look in person.

Dan and A1, thanks for your comments. We will start cross breeding these guys and girls really soon. ;)

Marie!! Oh, my....what do I say. I high jacked Andrew's thread! :D I normally don't do this. I would produce some periwinkle fish if it would bring you back into the hobby. Lets see what I (we) can do for ya. lol Give us a call when you have some down time. Love to talk to you again!

Kenny's Discus
02-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Angela and Andrew, they look absolutely awesome! I'm so happy for you I know you've put in lots of effort working with this new line. Big Congratulation to you both my friend keep up the great work!:)

Kenny

phidelt85
02-24-2008, 10:33 PM
I'll give ya'll a call tomorrow as it's already too late. :D

alxjss
02-25-2008, 06:22 AM
Andrew and Angela. Beautiful. Never seen anything like it. Congrats. Hope everything turns out the way u want it too.;)

Kindredspirit
02-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I'll give ya'll a call tomorrow as it's already too late. :D

umm....Angela was talking to me!:D:D

phidelt85
02-25-2008, 05:54 PM
OK, li'l lady, don't get worked up in a tizzy. :D

moik
09-30-2018, 08:27 PM
very nice,,the best part is that is all your hard work shows and you should be greatly happy to see these exteremly great results..

pastry
09-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Although a very old thread, I have never seen this one before! Thanks!