PDA

View Full Version : ... and then there were five.

Ryan
11-01-2006, 01:03 AM
I tried my hand at shipping today. Five of my ten discus are on their way to Connecticut. Wanna place bets on if they make it alive? lol.

Now my tank looks... empty.

Kenny's Discus
11-01-2006, 01:09 AM
I'm sure they'll be ok...Al must have given you all the info needed.(as he had given the shipping info to me b4 but I'm dumb):)

So let me place my bet with you Ryan, 10 to 1, over! :D Whoops I mean Safe Arrival, not over/under LOL.

Did you use Fedex overnight to ship them Ryan? Just curious...

Kenny

Ryan
11-01-2006, 01:19 AM
Yes, I sent them through FedEx. And of course, in the ongoing battle over whether or not they ship live fish, they questioned what was in the box. Sometimes FedEx takes the box without question, other times they claim they don't ship live fish. Al told me to just go in there and act like I knew what I was doing.

The box Al sent me said "Sea-dwelling Creatures" on the side of it, and also "Live Tropical Fish - Keep Warm." The guy at the desk put the box on the scale and he read the side of the box, then he said, "These aren't live sea-dwelling creatures are they?" I told him no, because technically discus live in rivers and lakes :D So he took the box.

Packing wasn't as bad as I thought, but we'll see tomorrow how the bags held up. Al is going to have fun unwrapping those bags, because they are triple-bagged and I tied each bag separately with rubber bands. Probably best if he just cuts the bags... lol.

Ardan
11-01-2006, 06:28 AM
I bet its like Christmas at Al's house today!:D

I think they will be fine!
Ardan

pcsb23
11-01-2006, 06:35 AM
fingers crossed Ryan.

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 06:58 AM
I'm guessing they will be fine Ryan.. :) we'll see.. I should be picking these up at Fedex in a few hours if all goes well.:)

-al

Tony_S
11-01-2006, 08:29 AM
So much for 'cutting back' , hey Al??

Seems like I'm seeing alot of posts with "Als getting them" or..."Al's buying them" or..."I just sent them to Al"

Have you been skipping your Discaholics meetings again...:inquisitive:

Tony ;)

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D I have attended one of those for a while;)

I Did CUT BACK ....HONEST I DID!!!:(

I went from Two fishrooms to one.. I took tanks out of all the bedrooms and bathroom tanks. I decreased my ram tanks to one ( from 10) ..I got rid of all my threadfin geos except one Pair (hopeful), my Kribs, and my oscars... all gone.

Oh and I seriously cut back on my angel fish tanks..which of course...Opened up more for Discus... Sent a bunch of freebies out to people...BTW Tony... when are you and Beth Taking Yours...:D

Oh and I got bored with a lot of the Discus I had ...soOOOOOO Its time to rotate the old collection a Bit!

-al:)

Tony_S
11-01-2006, 09:17 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D I have attended one of those for a while;)

I Did CUT BACK ....HONEST I DID!!!:(

I went from Two fishrooms to one.. I took tanks out of all the bedrooms and bathroom tanks. I decreased my ram tanks to one ( from 10) ..I got rid of all my threadfin geos except one Pair (hopeful), my Kribs, and my oscars... all gone.

Oh and I seriously cut back on my angel fish tanks..which of course...Opened up more for Discus... Sent a bunch of freebies out to people...BTW Tony... when are you and Beth Taking Yours...:D

Oh and I got bored with a lot of the Discus I had ...soOOOOOO Its time to rotate the old collection a Bit!

-al:)

LMAO!! That sounds like the 'ramblings of a true addict'!!! :D

BTW Tony... when are you and Beth Taking Yours...:D

Uhhmmm...uhhh....who the HE!! is Beth?

Tony :p

CARY_GLdiscus
11-01-2006, 09:45 AM
come on tony they are for the wife LOL!

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 09:50 AM
Oh Sure... all the addicts out there Kicking one their brothers when he's down and clearly fallen off the wagon.:(

I feel rotten now...:( I need something to make me feel better...

Cary...wheres My LIST!!!:D

-al

Tony_S
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
come on tony they are for the wife LOL!

DAMN!! I guess I've just been busted:undecided: ...thats what I just told Al!! LMAO!!:D

He's sendin' em out today!!:D :D

Tony:bandana:

Ryan
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
They're at the FedEx office waiting to be picked up. I hope the heat packs worked and the bags stayed inflated. *fingers crossed*

11-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I needed a good laugh Ryan, I feel like a criminal when I drop them off at Fed Ex and they haven't even asked me yet what was in the box, that's too funny!

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Ryan,
They'll be in my tanks in less than an hour.:)

-al

Ryan
11-01-2006, 09:58 AM
... if they lived.

I keep having flashbacks of that time FedEx crushed one of your boxes of fish.

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Ryan,
what are the odds of them Running over 2 boxes of discus for the same customer in the same year...:D

I'm off to get the fishies.:)

-al

April
11-01-2006, 10:13 AM
fingers crossed..will ryan be a super shipper? our next reseller and breeder and shipper coming up..with his one tank of fish.
none of you guys have any willpower..face it.

AADiscus
11-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm sure you did a great job at packaging the fish. It is quite an ordeal to box fish. So whatcha gonna get now since your tank is empty? lol

Al, hurry up and get home with those fishies. ;)

Ryan
11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Angela, the tank's not empty. I had 10 ~4" fish in a 55 gallon... and decided they needed some room to stretch their fins. So I shipped 5 to Al, and kept 5 to continue growing out. I'm hoping they hit another growth spurt now.

I know one thing... my food bill should look a lot prettier. :D I was using 2 packs of beefheart and 8oz of bloodworms in a week, not to mention all the flake food. That was just for 10 fish.

AmberC
11-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Fingers crossed.. but I am sure they will be ok!! :)

Ryan
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
We'll know soon enough. According to the tracking number, Al signed for the fish about 20 minutes ago.

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Well Ryan,
Either you are a natural or You had a good Coach;) :D They were packed absolutely perfectly...not a leaky bag in the group, water was a good temp.. They came in great shape and are happily swimming around in their own 55 gal QT tank..:)

It'll be interesting how both groups grow now.:)

Heres a Pic....I snapped moments after putting them in the tank.

Nice Job Ryan, and Thanks!!

-al

Ryan
11-01-2006, 11:18 AM
That's them, runt and all :D Did you see the message I left for you on the top of the styro?

I sent Al all the smaller ones, which doesn't seem fair, but I was scared to send my big guys on my first shipping attempt. Of course, now I probably have all males, and Al probably got the females of the group.

I did send you one of the Snakeskin-looking fish which was my second favorite. No pepper and a very elegant-looking fish. I think that one will turn out nice.

Glad they made it. I feel better now.

Ryan

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I did LOL...

Ryan asked me in big bold letters to Say a Prayer before I openned the Box:)

-al

The runts actually not to bad.. Who knows...maybe he'll turn out okay...worst case...I have my test fish.:)

Ryan
11-01-2006, 11:24 AM
They are probably starving. I fasted them for 2 days. Mine were VERY happy to eat last night. I fasted the whole tank because I wasn't sure which fish I was sending until I actually started netting them. Now let's pray their growth picks up again, because they quit for a while and it was worrying me.

pcsb23
11-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Well done guys, good job.

jeep
11-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Al, did you get any salsa with this batch??? :D

April
11-01-2006, 11:52 AM
congrats Ryan!! your babies live on. and congrats to Brew for getting new fish. : ) they look great for just coming out of the bag. two thumbs up.

brewmaster15
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Brian,
Are you trying to give me a hint here?!:) I have jar with your name on it any time:)

-al

AmberC
11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
WTG Ryan! Now if I ever have the need to ship fish.. I shall ask you for the how to!!