PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Indiana

redbarontoys
11-30-2006, 09:10 PM
Hello, I guess this thread is a place to introduce myself so here goes. My name is Shawn and I'm just getting into Discus. My interests in the hobby started strangely enough with a desire for a train to go around my Christmas tree. I chose a large scale train for the detail and easier to handle parts. One thing always leads to another and soon my train was too big to fit in the house. The nice thing about large scale is that they are rated for outdoor use so my railroad went to the garden. Soon I decided that the railroad would be more interesting with a water feature so I dug a pond. Naturally the pond needed fish so I got into goldfish and koi. All new arrivals had to be quarantined since cleaning a pond is a huge task so I soon had a few quarantine aquariums. Once everyone was living happily in the pond I had all these aquariums set up with nothing in them. One became a tropical community tank, a couple others are housing baby goldfish, several are stocked with a variety of angels, one is a wild Amazon biotope, and the newest addition is a blackwater discus tank. I have done pretty well breeding the pond fish so I am planning to try breeding my wild scalare and maybe some cross breeding and see where it goes from there. Next time I decide to buy a train, would someone please slap me!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/bflyjct/planted12.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/bflyjct/discus8.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/bflyjct/discus15.jpg

AADiscus
12-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Red and welcome to Simply.

Looking at your discus they look a little young. You might want to think about taking the gravel out of their tank and having it bb for a while. What are you feeding them and what is your wc schedule for them? At this age they need lots of nutritional food and LOTS of wc's.

White Worm
12-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Wow......and all I did was see some in a lfs and buy them. :D
What are you using to make your discus tank / water that color or am I just seeing things?
Oh yeah.....welcome to simply Red, you will love it here. So much info for any water creature you decide to keep.

swinters66
12-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Welcome to Simply Shawn!! :wave:

That was pretty interesting, going from trains to fish. Ive always loved discus but was always afraid to try keeping them...so I researched then went for it.

Your guys are too cute, and small!! What kind of discus are those?

This is a great place to learn all you can about discus. These people have been incredibly kind and helpful to me...I am really glad I am a part of this group. I keep learning new things as I go...

Lafayette Jeff
12-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Where in Indiana. I'm in Lafayette.

mmorris
12-02-2006, 02:01 PM
What?!!! No train pictures?!!! The little guys are soooo cute!:heart2: Martha

Greg Richardson
12-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Great story. Loved it!

Your story reminds me of people who start to what is to be a small remodeling project. LOL!

I've seen many of those over the years.
Tough to draw the line where you quit as one new part makes you want to add and add some more while the their budget didn't have the means for the extra's.