PDA

View Full Version : #1 thing for discus

Ardan
12-03-2006, 07:19 AM
What do you think is the most important thing for your discus?

Maybe some new thoughts will come up.
You can choose more than one thing in this poll

Maybe there is more than one answer in your mind and your opinion.Please discus this. :)

Thank you:)
Ardan

LizStreithorst
12-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Having been wiped out once, I have to say good healthy stock to begin with. If you don't have that, none of the rest even comes into play.

Tony_S
12-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Having been wiped out once, I have to say good healthy stock to begin with. If you don't have that, none of the rest even comes into play.

Absolutely 100% correct Liz.

1. Good healthy stock.
2. Water quality.
3. Good quality diet.

Tony

poconogal
12-03-2006, 11:41 AM
With healthy stock to begin with, water quality and diet, definitely, IMO.

russell
12-03-2006, 12:28 PM
WATER QUALITY & STABILITY forget tds & Ph

mikeos
12-03-2006, 12:38 PM
all the above, but above them all is water quality....get that wrong & everything else is irrelevant.

ShinShin
12-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I voted for "all of the above". If all are not part of the husbandry practiced, it doesn't matter if you have good stock or not, your experience with discus will be a bad one. Your discus' experience with you will be worse.

JMO based OME.

Mat

Kindredspirit
12-03-2006, 02:10 PM
I think good healthy discus to begin with from a reliable source that you have personally researched is number one for me ~ very important ~

....after that ~ the rest I learned here ~ follow advice from whom you trust and it is a piece of cake IMO ~

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

AmberC
12-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I said all of the above although starting with good healthy stock can be questioned. I have seen people get sick fish and bring them back very nicely. Perhaps not A grade or whatever the scale is.. but very nice.

Rod
12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I voted good stock to start with....pro's have more than enough trouble with diseased discus. When an unhealthy discus is sold to a novice they have almost no chance of being a discus hobbiest in 12 months imo.

Jessie555
12-03-2006, 04:03 PM
I said all of the above although starting with good healthy stock can be questioned. I have seen people get sick fish and bring them back very nicely. Perhaps not A grade or whatever the scale is.. but very nice.

Maybe Amber, but I've seen it more the other way around, people getting good healty stock and turn them in no time in ..........

"Jessie"

Green Country Discus
12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
I voted all the above. I think that once you start with quality, healthy Discus, water quality is the most important. Everyone else is spot on by the way ;) . Good poll Ardan!

poconogal
12-03-2006, 04:50 PM
I voted good stock to start with....pro's have more than enough trouble with diseased discus. When an unhealthy discus is sold to a novice they have almost no chance of being a discus hobbiest in 12 months imo.

I agree. Early this year I ordered and received 4 Discus. One died right away, one had a swim bladder problem and still does. Both of these were 3" Discus. I also received two 4" Discus. One with gill flukes and one with, well, who knows? But it was ailing for at least a month. Had I been new to Discus, I think that experience would have made me throw in the towel. I had my hands full trying to get both of them healthy. BTW, both are now healthy, and the one that was sick for a month + is part of a spawing pair.

pcsb23
12-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I only voted for good healthy stock, because without it none of the remainder matter.

ShinShin
12-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Well, actually, practicing all the above can bring an unhealthy discus back into form, while not practicing all of the above will take healthy stock into the crapper. Yes? No? Maybe...?

Mat

pcsb23
12-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Well, actually, practicing all the above can bring an unhealthy discus back into form, while not practicing all of the above will take healthy stock into the crapper. Yes? No? Maybe...?

Mat

Absolutely.

Elcid
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Sorry guyz:

I deceded to vote "other" and I'm the only one so here's my explaination.

The #1 thing for discus is for me is "Knowing Yourself" Why is it that you want discus? Do you know what is involved in keeping them? Is your family and you life compatible with discus keeping?

The biggest problem with discus keeping I see is the continuous temptation to buy new fish and all the problems associated with it. If you could get what you want to begin with so you don't keep having to buy more and more and more then you have some chance of success as a hobbiest giving that you can overcome all the other factors that you mention in your poll.

HTH,
Sandeep

mmorris
12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
I said the number one thing is healthy discus but `love' has to come into this equation somewhere. You gotta really love 'em to keep 'em!:heart2: Martha