PDA

View Full Version : capillaria

grelot
12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
I found what looks like capilaria's eggs into the feces of some of my discus.
What is the best way to treat it??
I've read that prazi in food could work, what do you guys think??? Is there anything better???

Thanks

Remi

Squiggy
12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Prazi, from what I understand, does not work against nematodes....You'll need fenbendazole (panacur).
Do the eggs have the tell-tale end caps?

Joe

Alight
12-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes, fenbendazole, flubendazole or levamisole will work on capillaria or other nematodes, not Prazi.

Graham
12-04-2006, 11:45 PM
While I've never treated roundworms...in looking around it seems that the Prazi may work.

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/fish_diseases/fecal_disorders.html

F). The feces is long, white and stringy. The feces contain elongated eggs with champagne-cork-like covers Your fish are affected with Capillaria Worms Treat with: Praziquantel -or- Paracide-D.

here's some info from the U of Fl

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA09100.pdf

fishmama
12-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Good Late Evening!

I thought this was a very intesting link:

www.aquaworldnet.com/awmag/obseng.htm

regarding some actual experience treating capillaria

hth
Lisa

P.S. If nothing else, there is a good photo of a capillaria egg

brewmaster15
12-05-2006, 01:06 AM
My personal choices for capillaria are Fenbendazole,flubendazole, and levamisole...These work well.........Piperazine is another one.

Prazi ..I have read mixed on its use... I can see how it might work though, just based on its biological action against tapeworms...I remember when this med first started being used for flukes.. It seems to cause them to rupture... fish treated with it , gills dissections show nothing left but the hooks that anchored the flukes. I have a feeling that if it does work it may not be as effective as the other dewormers... I have only seen it mentioned as a capillaria med for use in aviary species...The others are wide spread in livestock round worm infections. all subjective examples since we are talking fish here..

hth,
al

pcsb23
12-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Its been a long time since I had to treat any of mine for this. Fenbendazole was very effective, fed in food.

grelot
12-05-2006, 10:23 PM
It's on simply library that I saw that prazi INTO FOOD could be used for capilaria.
Dont know what you call a tell tale end cap but what I saw looked like it was capilaria's eggs. Dont know if many more things looks like that...

I'm sending one of those fishes to necropsy thursday so I'll be fixed. Those fishes had been treated with piperazine in the past but I'm not sure if it worked

CARY_GLdiscus
12-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Levasole is some good !@#$

ShinShin
12-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Levamsole has become my drug of choice for nematodes.

Mat

pcsb23
12-06-2006, 07:01 AM
Levamsole has become my drug of choice for nematodes.

Mat

Its prescription only this side of the pond :(

grelot
12-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Cary, do you mean that it sucks or that its good??

CARY_GLdiscus
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I LOVE THE STUFF

grelot
12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
:)
Ok thanks
I just wasn sure what you meant. My english is good but sometimes there are things that I dont get

Remi