PDA

View Full Version : how do i knwo it worked? ( prazi ? )

ItsGeoff
12-07-2006, 03:24 PM
ok so yesterday i dosed my tank with prazi pro in hope of ridding my biggest heckel of worms, which imsure it has because it is very thin and was fat at one point and time. it eats a bunch but does not get any thicker. so prazi i dose and i know it says 3-5 days is a treatment. well how do i knwo that it has worked? im guessing the fish will have a BM and expelle the worm(s) that way? so just be on the look out for that and i guess it would also be getting fatter if they are dead. anything else i shoudl look for.

LizStreithorst
12-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I don't believe that the fish pass the entire worm except with tapes. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you don't have a microscope, you could wait a couple of days after treatment and take a poop sample into a veterinarian to be checked. You'll be better off if you can catch the poop with a baster before it hits the bottom of the tank. There are all sorts of weird microscopic organisms on the tank bottom.

poconogal
12-07-2006, 04:31 PM
It depends on what kind of worms a fish has. Prazi kills tapeworms. For other types like round worms, you can use Piperazine. If your Discus does have worms and you see nothing expelled after Prazi treatment, then he probably has another type of worm.

Harriett
12-07-2006, 06:28 PM
My one time experience with Tape worm was: saw the worms (see below), dosed with Prazi and within 24 hours the fish expelled a load of dead worms several inches long--one was at least 8".
With any other kind of worms, I don't think you see such clear evidence, necessarily.
My understanding is also that it is fairly unusual to see tape worms in discus--there was a thread about it a while back (AL, was that yours?). With tape worm you may at some point see several worms hanging out the vent at the same time--like a rosette, which you do not usually see with other kinds of worms.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong in my generalizatioons.
Harriett

brewmaster15
12-07-2006, 06:46 PM
yep that was me :)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=21043

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/C7/50/8882887-9cf7-01F8017A-.jpg

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/B8/50/8882872-ff25-01F8017A-.jpg

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/B6/50/8882870-1056-02000180-.jpg

ItsGeoff
12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
ok i'll be on the look out for them. as of tonight its been 24 hrs since the treatment. guess they should start showing up soon if indeed it does have tapeworms.

im figuring its a tape because the fish from from fat and happy to real thin in a very short amount of time but still ate like a pig. sounds like a tapeworm to me right?

ItsGeoff
12-10-2006, 09:34 PM
well whatever that fish had im pretty sure is dead now. it has gotten a HUGE increase in appetite over the past 2 days and is eating like crazy. i just hope that no severe damage was done and that it will fill out again

Harriett
12-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Great news! Continue to monitor closely, of course, and stay on top of the usual water changes, etc.
Best regards
Harriett

Kindredspirit
12-11-2006, 03:20 PM
If your Discus does have worms and you see nothing expelled after Prazi treatment, then he probably has another type of worm.

...or none at all? Or no?

Marie ~ :angel:

ItsGeoff
12-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Great news! Continue to monitor closely, of course, and stay on top of the usual water changes, etc.
Best regards
Harriett

usual water changes? what are those ;)

poconogal
12-12-2006, 09:45 AM
...or none at all? Or no?

Marie ~ :angel:
Hi Marie. In this particular case I think that since the Discus is "very thin and was fat at one point and time. it eats a bunch but does not get any thicker" that it had worms.

Wahter
12-20-2006, 01:00 AM
This photo isn't as good as Al's, but here's a tapeworm after treating at tank with prazi. It was whitish in color, but I placed the dead worm in a plastic cup and just used the light from the tank. (I had the cup on the glass covering the tank).

Dying for Discus
12-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Ew...can us humans get the tapeworms from discus or is it a different species of tape worm??