PDA

View Full Version : German or Asian breeders?

tacks
12-07-2006, 05:38 PM
To be honest I stole this from another site. I have read there are difference in German breed Discus and Asian breed,is this true or false? I ask this as I am about to buy 7-8 adult{5"+) and am wondering about this breeder (Stendler) or should I be looking at Asian breeders. hope this is not a stupid questions just trying to cover all the bases be for I jump in. thanks for your time Ed

billeagan
12-07-2006, 05:46 PM
To be honest I stole this from another site. I have read there are difference in German breed Discus and Asian breed,is this true or false? I ask this as I am about to buy 7-8 adult{5"+) and am wondering about this breeder (Stendler) or should I be looking at Asian breeders. hope this is not a stupid questions just trying to cover all the bases be for I jump in. thanks for your time Ed

Its really personal taste. As far as the classics I don't think there is anyone better than Stendker out of Germany. There is awesome stuff out of Asia too.

Are you going to be able to view them before buying?

Bill

pcsb23
12-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Agree with Bill's assessment, if you can see them and pick your iown its always best to.

roclement
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Large traditional, healthy = German

Fancy, new, luck of the draw quality = Asian

Nothing beats being able to see your fish, and their parents before buying them!

Rod

alpine
12-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Tacks, since you are about to make a substantial investment(6 or 7 5" discus) I would be a little patient and get to see some Asian and German discus before you make up yor mind. Depending on where you live they might be some importers or breeders close to you. They do have different physical attributes , but are both beautiful fish to have.

roberto.

tacks
12-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the repleys. I live in Fl. and I wont be able to see the fish before I buy them. The site were I am buying the Skendlers came off this forum. I gussed you ans. part of my question and that is Skendler adult Discus are a good Discus. It would be nice to see what you are buying but here is were trust comes into play. I am certainly not the first or the last to buy Discus site un-seen. thanks guys Ed

roclement
12-07-2006, 10:23 PM
Stendker = Discushans USA

Awsome fish!

Elcid
12-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey Rod:

You should go to Aquarium Center in Clementon, NJ and check out some of the Stendker stock they are selling :D :D :D :D Lemme know how u like em!

take care,
Sandeep

roclement
12-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Don't know what they have, probably not so good, just like the ones that are in "That Fish Place", usualy bad quality fish...

Then again, that is why I said that Stendker = Discus Hans = direct buy.

I guess a wholesaler cannot make a living out of the best stock only...right or wrong that is still his choice, same as ordering some Asian fish from a reputable importer, or from a LFS...wish it was different but...

Anyway Tacks is talking about buying fish from a seller that came from this forum, I think that any of them will carry great fish, regardless of source.

Good luck, as always, JMO

Rod

Timbo
12-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Then again, that is why I said that Stendker = Discus Hans = direct buy.

Hi Rod

can a hobbyist buy direct from Hans now?

Jessie555
12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Timbo, Discus Hans only sells to shops and resellers. You've to check out the shop/reseller who sells the Stendker Discus, some do a great job, some do lesser with them. I think Discus Hans ships out good Discus, but it's just like with selling to private people, some do a good job with them and some don't.

"Jessie"

Timbo
12-08-2006, 11:32 AM
thats what i thought jesse...from Rod's post (Stendker = Discus Hans = direct buy) it sounded like that had changed.

pcsb23
12-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Large traditional, healthy = German

Fancy, new, luck of the draw quality = Asian

Nothing beats being able to see your fish, and their parents before buying them!

Rod
I have to take issue here. Having had both German fish (Setndkers) and Asian fish I can categorically confirm that I have had both good and bad from both.

Personally I find comments like have no place in the hobby, that is MY personal view and not necessarily that of SimplyDiscus.

poconogal
12-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Timbo, Discus Hans only sells to shops and resellers. You've to check out the shop/reseller who sells the Stendker Discus, some do a great job, some do lesser with them. I think Discus Hans ships out good Discus, but it's just like with selling to private people, some do a good job with them and some don't.

"Jessie"

Hi. I recently got a Blue PB from Hans, thru an LFS in NJ. The fish is 6", nice and round, and a thick, healthy Discus, but with a lot more peppering than I expected. She is definitely not a "clean" PB, even though the peppering is not massive, but I was annoyed to spend $117 on a peppered Discus. She lays eggs every 4 days, too. When I have time I plan on posting her in Discus U. There were other Hans Discus that arrived in the same order that had HITH, pretty big holes, too, I could not believe my eyes! I corresponded directly with Hans about it and he contacted the LFS to rectify the situation. So, while I believe that for the most part Hans has good Discus, there's always the possibility of getting a dud. Maybe another LFS would not have been shipped those Discus? Who knows?

Elcid
12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Rod:

Ur smack on the money! I saw some beautiful discus at Mary's from Hans but that does not mean that all of Hans's fish are beautiful. The Stendker discus at Aquarium center are about the worst discus I have ever seen. I had pm'd Mario after seeing them saying that it would make every discus on Simplydiscus show quality in comparison! Hans is a good guy but in the end you get what you pay for german or asian! sometimes less.

take care,
Sandeep

Jessie555
12-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Sandeep, when were you at the shop????
I know they got a shipment in last week with a delay from FedEx and as we all know Discus just out of the bags, not happy, all look "$hity"

"Jessie"

Elcid
12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Sandeep, when were you at the shop????
I know they got a shipment in last week with a delay from FedEx and as we all know Discus just out of the bags, not happy, all look "$hity"

"Jessie"

Hey Jessie:

I was there end of Septemberish! I just want to add that I have been going to Aquarium Center over 10 years though infrequently (once or twice a year)and I am usually very pleased with their discus stock, especially wilds. It's only this last time I was so horrified! I would not say that they don't know what they are doing. For those of you who don't know Aquarium Center, they are a very big shop and amongst petshops they are considerably above average.

take care,
Sandeep

Jessie555
12-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Hey Rod:

Ur smack on the money! I saw some beautiful discus at Mary's from Hans but that does not mean that all of Hans's fish are beautiful. The Stendker discus at Aquarium center are about the worst discus I have ever seen. I had pm'd Mario after seeing them saying that it would make every discus on Simplydiscus show quality in comparison! Hans is a good guy but in the end you get what you pay for german or asian! sometimes less.

It's only this last time I was so horrified!

take care,
Sandeep

Hmmmm maybe it's me but why PM Mario (is he the Discus Police?) and not send an email to Discus Hans, I think you solve more with that as sending a PM to Mario about it? But I'm sure it's more fun to BS as realy to try to solve a "problem" If you don't have his email, here it is: discus-hans@comcast.net

"Jessie"

Elcid
12-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi Jessie:

The fact that I even posted on this thread was a streach for me but when ppl post things like:

Large Traditional Healthy = German
Fancy, New Luck of the draw = Asian

It gets my nerve! I did not PM Mario in "Jest" but "Shock and Horror". He is not the police but for me a "Sounding board" a "Source for insperation and help", "A shoulder to cry" in the hobby. Sorry Mario, too bad :p

I have had many email exchanges with Hans and I know his email address thanks. Obviously those discus I saw must be profitable to import by Hans and profitable to sell by Aquarium Center otherwise they would be both out of business. Maybe they are considered A grade by some? Until the public stops buying fish like that is there anything we can do? Maybe these "Shock and Horror" discus are the most popular discus in the market!

take care,
Sandeep

tacks
12-08-2006, 04:27 PM
I am sorry that this thread has got some people upset. I was just looking for information and I did get some. It boils down too that I am going to infest 7-9 hundred dollars of which I have to hope the dealer I am dealing with will get great or better fish from Skendler and pass them on to me. I have bought many an item sight on seen before but not at this price. So I will do all the homework I can andgo from there. Everyone here has been very helpful Thanks Tacks

Timbo
12-08-2006, 08:01 PM
hi tacks

all (or almost all) suppliers of quality discus should be willing to forward to you a picture of the actual fish you are considering buying.

do not limit yourself to Stendkers, (you will have to go through a dealer for them anyway; you're probably much better off to get discus directly from a breeder or importer and skip the retailer stage)

check out the sponsors here on Simply...you will most likely find excellent discus of the kind you want at a fair price...and yes, the quote about german/asian discus is a fallacy for the most part. i think it is true about how the asians are ahead of the germans in breeding different varieties however

roclement
12-08-2006, 08:38 PM
hi tacks

all (or almost all) suppliers of quality discus should be willing to forward to you a picture of the actual fish you are considering buying.

do not limit yourself to Stendkers, (you will have to go through a dealer for them anyway; you're probably much better off to get discus directly from a breeder or importer and skip the retailer stage)

check out the sponsors here on Simply...you will most likely find excellent discus of the kind you want at a fair price...and yes, the quote about german/asian discus is a fallacy for the most part. i think it is true about how the asians are ahead of the germans in breeding different varieties however

Timbo and Paul,

Tacks asked for our opinions, I shared mine, sorry if it offended you...I have owned, imported, and sold both, still prefer German fish, JMO. Then again, I have had the privilege of purchasing direct from Hans, not via a LFS, that is why I also stated that Tacks would do no wrong by going via any of the sponsors in the site.

What it boils down to is what he likes, and what is attractive to him, but if you ask for my oppinion in an open forum, I am entitled to give it, you can disagree but don't acuse my opinion of being wrong just because you don't share it, read all the posts and you will see that I concur that the fish that Hans has in fish stores are not good.

Be carefull, when you get ofended by peoples opinions just because they don't match yours, you run the risk of sounding a little arrogant...

Rod

April
12-08-2006, 11:45 PM
for breeding instincts..i say german..they have the instincts...and are good parents..ive had alot more luck and they are better parentsi find....

Elcid
12-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey tacks:

Sorry for the rant, here's my advise: If you like german discus buy Hans's fish from Cary who I read somewhere on this forum now sells Hans's fish! With the Hans/Cary combination you can't go wrong for German adults, ask for Cary's "Grab Bag", I wish I had known when I first started! Do a search and see what it's about on the forum. Ur spending good money don't jump the gun and definately don't buy from someone on Aquabid! Just so you know I did want to buy some quality adult fish from Hans a while back and he said he could get them from me $600 each! :) That's if I wanted 12! :) Okay it was my fault I sent him a prize winning german fish and asked him if he could get me ones like those! He said he could and I for one believe him! Financing anyone? Oh, one final thought, of the fish I have seen from Hans my favorite is the Blue Snakeskin without spots!

Goodluck,
Sandeep

April
12-09-2006, 01:49 AM
well..my favourite fish of all time i bought..were my lewisdiscus fish from oz. they too were german stock originally..but worked on for years by Rod .
i have had some good asian breeders..my red pearls from waynes were good breeders.
lets face it..every breeder has the best of the best and some that are so-so.
what i would do..is get a group of 4 inch fish and grow them out..and let them pair.
i have a young cobalt that jason made me..hes about a year and a few months or so. he just fertilized eggs with my schmidt focke descendant for his first time..they got wigglers..then attached.. only about 10..but hes got the instincts. hes carrying..and ramming me when i get near the glass. hes not asian. hes american and canadian bred. hows that then? as a matter of fact..think he was a son of american breeders fish!!!
maybe its just the old classics that are good breeders? maybe its like the difference between a high strung race horse or..a good old farm working horse. : )
the easiest and first discus i had that bred..were two brilliants from a lfs.

Wahter
12-09-2006, 02:06 AM
Tacks - my advice would be to find a strain that you like and see if you can pick some healthy fish of that strain. Doesn't matter if they are German bred or Asian bred, if they are healthy and as long as you keep them healthy, they will look fantastic!

pcsb23
12-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Rod,

Sent you a pm.

brewmaster15
12-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Excellent advise from Walter !!!

Tacks - my advice would be to find a strain that you like and see if you can pick some healthy fish of that strain. Doesn't matter if they are German bred or Asian bred, if they are healthy and as long as you keep them healthy, they will look fantastic!

I agree with Walter... to add to this everyone needs to remember that from the point a seller of fish sells the fish...he has no control over what happens to that fish...IMO, doesn't matter if its a stendker...asian ...wild ... domestic. Additionally... You will find good and bad among all of them..

The key is to buy from a reputable supplier, pick in person if you can, or at least decide after extensive dialogue witha vender and then QT with great patience!!>>. most minor fish probelms will resolve themselve with good care...

so again... Good advise walter!

one other note...tacks.. if these are going in a planted tank... I would be upfront with the seller about this...They may be able to give you some addition tips ..

-al