PDA

View Full Version : Fin question

swinters66
12-07-2006, 11:23 PM
This doesnt happen a lot but I have seen it a few times and wondered what it means. One of my discus will have his top fin raised up, and then it almost looks like its vibrating. Why do they do that? Just curious really.

fishmama
12-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Mine do that when they are courting! Does he/she have a "special friend"!

Lisa

roclement
12-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Agree, sounds like courting to me! Lucky devil!

Rod

swinters66
12-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Hmm...well Lisa I didnt really notice which other discus were around. I wrote this thread right after I saw one of the melons (if thats what it is...orange) swim by my wood centerpiece. And I think the closest discus was my big turq. But I was watching the melon and didnt pay attention to the other fish. Ill have to keep my eye out....

thanks!

Timbo
12-08-2006, 10:54 AM
although sometimes "vibrating" is nothing more than a physical attempt to get something that is stuck on the fishes' slime layer, off.

Squiggy
12-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Discus instinctively call fry to their sides with this shimmying action. The display is brought on during courting as is the 'dance'.
Tim is right but the action is more isolated and abbreviated when ridding themselves of irritants.

Joe

swinters66
12-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Irritants? That isnt a bad thing is it? I mean, they dont look like they have anything wrong with them. Or is it like when we have an itch we scratch and we're fine??