PDA

View Full Version : tank dividers & breeding?

MiamiDan
12-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I got a 180 gal tank, which I'm thinking of dividing with plastic eggcrate type of screens, as found in Home Depot. I will probably have 2 sections of 30 gal each, plus a larger 120 section. Question: if I put a pair in each 30 gal section they will see others through the screen dividers. Will this inhibit them from their mating business or it doesn't really matter? :confused: thanks. Dan

White Worm
12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Ok, I have tried the divider stuff. I used the egg crate but it seems to collect alot of crap even though you keep the water clean and algae loves to attach to it. I tried other dividers and I currently just have a piece of thin clear acrylic seperating two halves. I drilled a bunch of holes in it for water flow but they just sit on each side and stare at each other (females try to fight). I would get the light coverings real thin type that are in the same place as the egg crate but I would go with the iced look so they cant actually see each other but at least know they are not alone by the shadows on the other side. Attach with cheap suction cups and drill holes for water flow and the material wont catch as much crap. jmo

ShinShin
12-12-2006, 04:24 PM
They will breed just fine, or at least that is my experience. The problem is the young wander of to be consumed by the eagerly waiting occupants on the other side. No all, but some.

Mat

MiamiDan
12-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Thank you guys for your replies....nice to know somebody else already tried!:D