PDA

View Full Version : Culling with an anesthetic...

jeep
12-13-2006, 06:48 PM
I came across a bottle of Tricaine Methanesulfonate or Tricaine-S. This is usually used as a fish tranquilizer for shipping, medicating, photographing, etc...

Does anyone know if it can be used to euthanize culls or sick discus? If so, can you recommend a doseage and/proceedure?

Thanks!!!

devonpond
12-13-2006, 08:20 PM
This is from Penn State's official Animal Care guidelines:

Tricaine methane sulfonate (TMS, MS-222)

* This chemical may be placed in water for euthanasia of fish and amphibians.
* A concentration of at least 250 mg/L is recommended. The animal should be left in the solution for at least 10 minutes following cessation of respiratory movements. After removal from the MS222 solution opening of the body cavity and removal of the heart may be used to ensure death.
* MS 222 is acidic and in concentrations of 500 mg/L or higher should be buffered with sodium bicarbonate to saturation (pH 7.0 - 7.5).
* There is a 21-day withdrawal time for MS 222 in the US. It should not be used for animals intended for food.

Link (http://www.research.psu.edu/arp/euthanasia.shtml)

MS-222 is normally stored frozen in a dessicator. If it hasn't been so stored, it's efficacy may be a problem.

jeep
12-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks Derek.

The bottle I have says to store at room temp. I'll try it this weekend on some culls. Even if the effectivness is deminished, I doubt it would be a painful experience for them...