PDA

View Full Version : Is this appropriate light for discus?

goheel
12-16-2006, 08:56 PM
I just this light set off somebody. The problem is it's a coral 10000k actinic. Would that be Ok for discus. What about for plants? I have some low-light requiring plants such as java fern. The link is below
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13733&N=2004+113345

CARY_GLdiscus
12-16-2006, 09:02 PM
HELL
You can grow Coral with that light!

I say go for it! The fish will look great and plants and coral could thrive with the right balance!

hth
Cary

P.S 10hrs of light for plants!

BigAlFromCal
12-17-2006, 12:06 PM
While new to discus, I'm not new to planted tanks. Before saying it's ok - what size tank and what wattage bulb? True, you can grow plants under one of these, but as pointed out, it's primarily for coral. Most freshwater plants prefer a 6700K lamp setup. The other thing, outside of the kelvin rating, is how many watts per gallon you're going to be running and how tall the tank is.
More than a couple watts per gallon (wpg) and you will see a dramatic increase in algae. You want to be careful here. Adding the right plants can help, as can limiting light to certain time frames - plants start using light almost immediately, but for algae to grow, the light needs to be on continuously for more than 5 hours. Many folks running higher wpg without running co2 along with it will run 4 hours of light, 2 hours off and then another 4-5 hours with it on. This keeps the algae from being able to use the light.
Of course, I'm over-simplifying it all for this post, but basically, and especially for the plants you mentioned, 2wpg or less is best, in a tank less than 24" tall. And again, while the 10000k will work, 6700k will work much better.

dandestroy
12-17-2006, 01:17 PM
10000k actinic is kinda useless for your plant, they will survive well but don't expect to much growth from them.

As for the discus the light will look good on them, it will bring out the white and the metalic blue (kinda like a black light effect at a smaller level.)

goheel
12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention the tank, it's a 46gal bow tank.

jpfelix
12-17-2006, 09:05 PM
swap out the actinic bulb for a 2nd 10000k or a 6500k. you chould be fine growing most plants. if you're not careful, you could get an algae bloom.

AquaticRay
12-17-2006, 09:24 PM
While those are the ones designed for Saltwater tanks, they are fine for planted tanks. i know a lot of planted tanks with them on them and they are doing fine. If you have not purchased them yet buy the ones designed for fresh water.

For a 46 bow front, unless you plan on doing plants that require high intensity light you can use the cheaper single 96 watt fixture. It is fine for Java, swords, Cyrpts, Vals, Anacharis,

goheel
12-17-2006, 11:01 PM
The reason I bought it in the first place because it's only $30. I bought it from somebody who's getting out of the hobby. Seeing it's selling for almost $200 new at Dr. Smith Foster, I thought that's a pretty good deal, and my bow tank needs better light.

AquaticRay
12-17-2006, 11:54 PM
For that price it's a steal. I misread it it and did not see you had already bought it.

goheel
12-18-2006, 12:14 AM
For that price it's a steal. I misread it it and did not see you had already bought it.

yea, I figure with that price, the worst that could happen is I have to switch out the bulbs. I wonder if you could find these bulbs at Home Depot or I have to go to a marine specialty store to get one.

Polar_Bear
12-18-2006, 01:33 AM
As someone who can grow plants I have to say that most of the information above is incorrect. Plants will grow regardless of the color temperature of your lamp. They care about light intensity, much less what color it is. Your 50/50 will tend to REALLY bring out blues, so if you have blue discus it will really highlight them. This tank has 2 x 6700K 65 watt lamps and 2 x 50/50 65 watt lamps, do the plants look deprived to any of you?

pcsb23
12-18-2006, 06:50 AM
I agree with Larry here. Often time we get caught up too much in the technicalities whereas having lots of it will do the job sometimes. My high tech planted tank runs with 2 or 3 10,000K tubes that were originally "meant" for a reef tank. The other tube is a dyalight spec as I replaced the actinic. Having said that the actinic was on the tank for 9 months and the plants still grew well. Only problem I have with growth is the stem plants need trimming every few days.

AquaticRay
12-18-2006, 09:04 AM
As someone who can grow plants I have to say that most of the information above is incorrect. Plants will grow regardless of the color temperature of your lamp. They care about light intensity, much less what color it is. Your 50/50 will tend to REALLY bring out blues, so if you have blue discus it will really highlight them. This tank has 2 x 6700K 65 watt lamps and 2 x 50/50 65 watt lamps, do the plants look deprived to any of you?

Please point out what info above is incorrect - as you stated "As someone who can grow plants I have to say that most of the information above is incorrect. "

As someone who has done planted tanks for over 40 years and does them for a living I would like to know.

Yes studies show plants will grow if giving the right intensity and that intensity is more important than spectrum. But they have also shown plants use light from different spectrums differently. Add to that most people think their tanks look better (subjective I know) under white lights.

CARY_GLdiscus
12-18-2006, 09:44 AM
LOL! Its good to see You plant guy's are just like discus people!

I have the same lights and My plants thrive!!!!!!!!!

best wishes!

Cary Gld!