PDA

View Full Version : New forum reader

grayandgray
12-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi, I just joined due to my interest in setting up discus in my 90gal planted. Past experience has been with rams/angels/rasboras/tetras.

Seems the discus/planted thought might be a potential idea for adults, better to grow out juveniles in bare-bottomed.

I thank everyone here for their time and passion, this kind of community is one of the great features of the internet.

I had one question that I haven't found here yet (but it's probably somewhere). If you buy 1.5" - 2" juveniles from a reputable source, how old might they be already and what's their time/growth expectation? When does a discus become an "adult"?

Is it reasonable to work with 4 - 6 juveniles in a bare 30gal? Or is that too small a tank?

dishpanhands
12-18-2006, 04:36 PM
2 1/2" fish is about 90 to 120 days old and it takes 14 to 18 months is a rough estimate to grow out...IMO

dishpanhands
12-18-2006, 04:38 PM
oh I think 30 gal. is to small..Need a school of 6 or more. they seem to do better that way. I would use atleast 55 gal.

White Worm
12-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi, I just joined due to my interest in setting up discus in my 90gal planted. Past experience has been with rams/angels/rasboras/tetras.

Seems the discus/planted thought might be a potential idea for adults, better to grow out juveniles in bare-bottomed.

I thank everyone here for their time and passion, this kind of community is one of the great features of the internet.

I had one question that I haven't found here yet (but it's probably somewhere). If you buy 1.5" - 2" juveniles from a reputable source, how old might they be already and what's their time/growth expectation? When does a discus become an "adult"?

Is it reasonable to work with 4 - 6 juveniles in a bare 30gal? Or is that too small a tank?
Hey there GRAYS (Is there two of you? lol)...Welcome to Simply!!
Its not unreasonable depending on your w/c schedule but they will quickly outgrow that tank. May as well start with 55g (6-7 discus) or so. You will be happier in the long run. 20-30g are normally used for a breeding pair.
Yes, planted would be better for adults because they have most likely completed the majority of their growth. Youth would be better grown in BB but I use sand which is pretty close but not as boring IMO.
You could consider it an adult around 1 year of age. As far as growth and time for fry, I will let some breeders chime in and answer that one.
You wont find a better forum for the hobby. The wealth of knowledge and friendly advice here is unmatched anywhere. Read away and ask lots of questions. Post some pics too when you get ready. Remember, it is most important to research, prepare, start with top quality stock and then the rest should fall into place. Clean water and good foods with a varied diet is the key but you should know alot of this already with your experience with other fish. Keep in mind, the discus is slightly different than the rest.

Ryan
12-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I would agree that 6 discus are better than 4. It spreads the pecking order around a little more so that the aggression isn't too much of a burden on a single fish and it gives you more fish to work with in the event that one turns out to be a runt. You could always narrow it down to 4 once the fish had grown out and you decided which were your favorites. Chances are not all 6 will turn out the way you want them to. Of course, some people grow attached to the fish and keep the less-than-perfect ones as pets. Others choose to weed those out and only keep the best.

I grew out 10 fish in a 55 until they were about 3.5" - 4" and that was with 100% water changes everyday. For the last month or so the tank was cloudy after a few hours because of the amount of food I was feeding and the waste they were putting off. So I cut the number in half and now I only have 5 fish in the 55. It seems to work out much better this way.

Discus hit sexual maturity as early as 8 months (this seems to be the case with some pigeons). Some say it takes other fish, like blue diamonds, 1 1/2 to 2 years to spawn successfully. Discus will continue to grow even after they're a year old, but I think you'll see the biggest explosion in growth in the first 12 months. They grow in spurts.

Ryan

AADiscus
12-18-2006, 05:20 PM
You've already got great info. Welcome to Simply! :)

grayandgray
12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
thanks for the welcome, I'll have to see what's out there at what price, comparing some adults to another tank and some juveniles.

I'll have to stay objective, I wouldn't want to become addicted t fish or anything.;)

Timbo
12-18-2006, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't want to become addicted t fish or anything.;)

you say that like its a bad thing. :)

welcome to Simply...and feed the addiction :)

mmorris
12-19-2006, 12:16 AM
I wouldn't want to become addicted t fish or anything.;)
He makes it sound like its a choice!:bomb: Martha

White Worm
12-19-2006, 03:32 AM
Objective? Its already too late because you have become interested. It only gets worse.....er...better from here :D You may find that it might cost a little more for quality and it will depend on who you go with but...........If price is an issue.....save your pennies and wait till you can spend the extra for the best, buy all from the same source, get them all similar size and buy the number you plan to have in your tank (all 6 or 7). It will be worth it in the long run. You get what you pay for. The sponsors here all have some nice discus, you can get almost anything you like and most times you might have one local. Its good to hand pick in person or at least tell the breeder exactly what you want and for them to send pics of the exact fish you are getting.

GrillMaster
12-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey there gng... Welcome to Simply!!

I am one of the few pushin the limits. I have 10 3.5-4" in a 55 BB. I change 50 -70% of the water everyday also. I will probably be gettin rid of 4 here soon. I really dont know just yet, but it is lookin like it.

At the moment all is good. No cloudy water or anything, an I am one of the worst for feedin em. I feed em prolly 8 times a day. Every time I pass the tank, I am droppin something in there.

If the time comes though, I wont hesitate to give 4 of them up. I would like to see 6 very healthy, happy discus, than 10 that are just gettin by.;)

Armandi_Fishcarer
01-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Geday and Happy 2007 to all! GG you already are addicted to discus you just may not realise it yet. Good luck and the info you got is on target.

I seemed like I knew until I woke up in my tank and realised I was one of them. Welcome home. :D