PDA

View Full Version : Large eyes

wesleydnunder
12-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Are large eyes a sign of stunting? Can the condition be passed on to offspring?

brewmaster15
12-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Mark,
Eye size can reflect either the care and growth of a genetically normal fish, or can reflect a genetically inferior fish.... without knowing the history of the fish...its hard to tell if it can be passed on..

This may help..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=49201

-al

wesleydnunder
12-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the link, al. Paul gives the best explanation I've read. One of my discus was touted as a wild blue. I was showing a pic of him to a breeder in Kansas and he mentioned that the eye looked big. LOL This fish came as a surprise freebie a year ago with a shipment of fish from Segrest Farms in Florida so I was dubious about him being wild. As far as I can tell he may be a cull from someone's breeding program. I didn't have a discus tank set-up so it was a scamble to get him in his current home. I still think he looks nice. His name is Dowich. In the second pic Dowich is with Moose, a red turq? I got Moose 8 or 9 months ago as a 1 1/2" juvie. I see the difference in the eyes. Thanks again, al.

RoninGai
12-19-2006, 02:50 PM
hey mark i got a couple wilds too same as yours. what i've noticed is that they move alot than there domestic cousins. well in my tank:D they don't get spooked as my others and will eat and eat. as long as you like ur fish and he's happy where he's at then that's what it's all about.

pcsb23
12-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Mark,

Definitely does look like a wild to me. Its worth noting that the eye size on wilds is typically larger than on domestic bred fish. I'd say it was a pretty decent fish imo.

bumblebee
12-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Mark,
Large eyes? I don't think so. It looks pretty proportion to me on wild. It's a very beautiful fish, by the way is it a Alenquer?

Polar_Bear
12-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I agree with Paul, the eyes on that very good looking brown are the correct size for a wild.

LizStreithorst
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I also agree with Paul. That ain't no cull. I'd be trying to find it a mate if I were you.

White Worm
12-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Its horrible! You should dispose of it immediately. Just throw it in a bag of water and my address is.........................:D

wesleydnunder
12-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi Mark,
Large eyes? I don't think so. It looks pretty proportion to me on wild. It's a very beautiful fish, by the way is it a Alenquer?

They just called it a wild-caught blue. His eyes are always dark, never red but I understand this is not unheard of. I keep saying "he" but I'm not sure yet. Since Moose got the same size they've been very chummy. I'm glad to know that y'all think he's a quality fish. I don't have a very good eye for judging breed standards in these guys. Thanks y'all.

Darren's Discus
12-19-2006, 11:15 PM
I would certainly be happy having him in my tank,nice fish.

cheers

swinters66
12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
That's a really nice discus...and I really dont see his eyes as being overly large. Although I am new to spotting "irregularities" in discus.

I mean I look at my fish and think they are all perfect. I bet a number of people could spot things I just didnt see....either way....both those fish you have are beautiful!!

rcdg
12-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Looks like a sweeeet setup!!!

Augusto Gadelha
12-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Fish with the size of eyes too big in ratio to the body can mean growth problem, some nutricional deficiency, pathology, etc.