PDA

View Full Version : prazi shelf life

etr63
12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi All
I just noticed one of the discus in one of my tanks that is using only 1 gill. From what I understand that indicates flukes. I have some prazi powder but I hae had it for 2+ years now. I hae allways kept it in the freezer. How long is prazi good for if stored in a freezer. I dont have enough for the full treatment so I will still have to order more. Where is the best place to get Prazi?
Earl

brewmaster15
12-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi Earl,
Stored in the freeze its at least 2years.. I have gotten mine from Jehmco.com

For that one fish breathing thru the one gill.. I'd try a salt dip first. Flukes may or may not be the cause..but if its parasite related ...a salt dip may clear it up.

hth,
al

Polar_Bear
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Prazi has a shelf life? Holy cow that's a good thing to know!

etr63
12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Al
Thanks for the fast reply. I did a search for salt dip and found a post by Ardan that says 7.5 tblsp of salt to 1 galllon of water and wait for fish to role over. I will try this first. Is there any thing I should know as I have never done this before. I dont have a QT tank to put him in after the dip as this group is in a QT tank.
Earl

Graham
12-19-2006, 08:00 PM
It won't take long for the fish to roll since you are putting him into almost pure salt water..............7.5 tablespoons is 22.5 teaspoons...2.25% salinty...assuming that you have an average teaspoon....30 teaspoons is salt water...3.0% salinity

At this level the fish will be forced to drop it's cuticle/mucus coat and anything that's within it...pure salt water is a total irritant and astringent. This will work but extreme IMO, and then to put them back into a contaminated tank.....not something that I would do...they have no defences...the first one has just been stripped away.

If you do this make sure that the temp is the same

G

brewmaster15
12-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi Earl....

I dont have a QT tank to put him in after the dip as this group is in a QT tank. That is something I would be concerned with..How long have you had these fish? and have you treated in any way Earl?

-al

etr63
12-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Al and Graham
I have had these fish 3 weeks today. I have not treated with anything as of yet. This is the first sign of anything unusual. I do 50% WCs nightly with aged water. I was thinking and the Prazi I have is at least 3 years old. Should I start treating with what I have or I can get Prazi pro at the LFS tomarrow. The fish is at this point not showing any signs of other problems.
I just went down to start my WCs and he is using that gill on and off.
Earl

brewmaster15
12-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi Earl,
Prazi is something I would not mind using prophylactically for tapeworms and since you haven't used it yet...IT may be worthwhile to use prazi on that whole tank...

I'd go with straight prazi...I have no experience with Prazi pro.. I don't think theres a rush in your tank...one gill closed isn't life threatening IMO>

hth,
al

etr63
12-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi Al
I will try calling Jehmco tomarrow . I tried tonight but must have just missed them. The tank is a 75 gallon, how much Prazi should I order?
Earl