PDA

View Full Version : Blind in one eye

kbogg
12-21-2006, 11:42 AM
I have six new discus in a 240 gal display tank (sand substrate, driftwood, artificial plants). We brought the discus home from the breeder last Friday (12/15/06). After the first 48 hours five of the six were eating well and not too shy. The smallest one (2.5 inches) was still hiding out most of the day and in order to get food to him we had to distract the others with food and drop some FBW in so that they would drift to his hiding place. He is eating ok when we do this. To make a long story shorter...last night we noticed that he can only see out of one eye, The non seeing eye does not look damaged or cloudy but there does not appear to be an iris, the whole eye looks black like an enlarged pupil.

He only seems to be able to eat if the food is on the bottom of the tank, his depth perception is bad so he can't eat the floating food.

Has anyone had success raising a fish with vision in only one eye? Any other suggestions?

240 gal
PH 7.2
Ammonia & Nitrite 0
Nitrate 1-4
Two XP-3s and two Sponge Filters
Temp - 86F

greyhoundfan
12-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I've seen posts here where discuses did great with just one eye. Can you get a replacement from your breeder? I'm sure they wouldn't want you to have fish in that condition.

rcdg
12-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I've had a blue diamond that is missing an eye for a couple years. He/she has a little trouble hitting food so I hand feed him durning the evening meal to make sure he's getting his fair share. One of my favorites being an underdog :)

poconogal
12-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I know someone who had several BDs that were blind. She hand fed them and they grew to be magnificent looking Discus.

White Worm
12-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Gotta love an underdog!! A little assistance and any animal will adapt. I would however, contact the breeder and request a replacement because these things can sometimes happen when dealing with large quantities and maybe they just missed it. I'm sure the breeder would have no problem with it but they may ask how you know for sure the discus is blind. Even discus that can see, sometimes have problems hitting the food in front of them.

Cosmo
12-21-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a domestic RSG that has terrible depth perception. Takes her several attempts to get the food she's after into her mouth :( I've had here almost 3 years and she's grown big and fat.. In the wild she would have been a cull, probably should have been at the breeder, but, she grew into a decent looking healthy fish despite her handicap
Jim

kbogg
12-21-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the replies.

When I fed the gang this evening I was getting prepared to do the "distraction" thing and the little guy just came right out and started feeding with the others. I guess I should have been a little more patient. He does appear to be learning to adapt. He swims into the feeding fray and leans a little to the left so his good eye is down and then just starts going after the FBW. I appreciate the encouragement and the great information on this site.

I have not yet contacted the breeder but we got the discus in anothr state after visiting relatives (5 hour drive). I will just ask them to consider a credit toward another purchase when we decide to add some more.

swinters66
12-22-2006, 12:17 AM
I think your guy will be just fine!!