PDA

View Full Version : Your Python

AmberC
12-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Today I had to buy an extension for my python to bring it up to 50 feet so that I can clean the tank in my bedroom and spare room. 50 feet of tygon tubing is NOT fun.

So how long is your python?

Amb

Kindredspirit
12-21-2006, 06:37 PM
My Python in 75 feet! I BEAT YOU!!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_2_62.gif

Marie ~ :)

cobaltblue
12-21-2006, 06:48 PM
75 feet as well....a 50 foot ext on my 25ft hose.....have to use a mag drive pump to get upstairs.:)

AmberC
12-21-2006, 06:52 PM
LOL.. Yes you guys have me beat lol.. but I am glad I am not you! lol Cause the 50 feet I have is a HUGE PITA!

FishLover888
12-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I got two 25f connected too. Not fun to do when trying to put them in a box and take them out each time for water change. Hey, beats buckets all the time!

AmberC
12-21-2006, 07:00 PM
beats buckets all the time!

YES This is very true lol I dont know how I ever lasted with the bucket method before I got my first python!

wesleydnunder
12-22-2006, 07:36 AM
I extended one of my pythons to 100 feet and rolled it onto a free-standing hose reel so it's very portable. Some of my customers have their tanks a long way from the source water, especially commercial customers.

brewmaster15
12-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Timbo and TonyS,
Not a word from you here:)

-al

Timbo
12-22-2006, 08:06 AM
lol AL, this one is too good to give up buddy.

So how long is your python?

thats a rather personal question Amber...but feel free to pm me for the details (but if you scare easily, dont ask for a pic)

Tony_S
12-22-2006, 08:20 AM
LMAO!:D

And here I thought I was the only one who did waterchanges NAKED!!:D :D

MY PYTHON'S BIGGER'N YOUR PYTHON!:p

All da fishy's run and hide...:shocked2: :shocked: :shocked2: :shocked: :shocked2:

Tony:bandana:

Oh...and don't let anyone tell ya that 'it's not the size of your Python that counts....It's how ya work it that matters'....:rolleyes:

YAAAAaaaa....RIGHT!!

AmberC
12-22-2006, 08:27 AM
I extended one of my pythons to 100 feet and rolled it onto a free-standing hose reel so it's very portable. Some of my customers have their tanks a long way from the source water, especially commercial customers.

That is a good idea! I never would have thought about that Mark!

brewmaster15
12-22-2006, 08:32 AM
As an administrator in a forum you know you spend too much there when you can flag with certainty which topics are of interest to which members.....

Some how I knew that both Tim and Tony would share their expertise on the subject at hand.:)

One thing all the python users here may want to consider is the Diameter of their hoses.. Even A slightly larger diameter hose moves a far great amount of water and fasterer than you would think... It has to do with mathematics...which I am am not good at. The Standard pythons take too long to drain a tank.

-al

AmberC
12-22-2006, 08:37 AM
lol AL, this one is too good to give up buddy.

thats a rather personal question Amber...but feel free to pm me for the details (but if you scare easily, dont ask for a pic)

LOL Tim ~~~~ PM sent! J/K!! lol you are crazy

LMAO!:D

And here I thought I was the only one who did waterchanges NAKED!!:D :D

Water changes can be messy.. doing 'em naked you dont ruin your clothes! ;)

MY PYTHON'S BIGGER'N YOUR PYTHON!:p

Well just how big is it? :p

All da fishy's run and hide...:shocked2: :shocked: :shocked2: :shocked: :shocked2:

Tony:bandana:

Oh...and don't let anyone tell ya that 'it's not the size of your Python that counts....It's how ya work it that matters'....:rolleyes:

YAAAAaaaa....RIGHT!!
Yeah.. my husband.. Brett.. has never used that line if you get my drift :)

Tony_S
12-22-2006, 08:38 AM
all the python users here may want to consider is the Diameter of their hoses..

!!:shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: !!

Tony_S
12-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Well just how big is it? :p

I refuse to answer that question...

Tony:lipsrseal:

AmberC
12-22-2006, 08:50 AM
As an administrator in a forum you know you spend too much there when you can flag with certainty which topics are of interest to which members.....

Some how I knew that both Tim and Tony would share their expertise on the subject at hand.:)

One thing all the python users here may want to consider is the Diameter of their hoses.. Even A slightly larger diameter hose moves a far great amount of water and fasterer than you would think... It has to do with mathematics...which I am am not good at. The Standard pythons take too long to drain a tank.

-al

Hmm.. I never thought about that either. I have a standard python from the lfs. Can tygon tubing of a larger diameter fit with the fittings of the standard ones you buy? (does that make sense lol)

brewmaster15
12-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Not sure if should move this to equipment and supplies, or the chat forum... but I guess I should move it somewhere...
hmmm...

we don't have that biology section anymore...maybe move it to the breeders forum?> nah... I guess it'll go to equipment for now..

-al

wesleydnunder
12-22-2006, 08:57 AM
:laugh:

dishpanhands
12-22-2006, 09:33 AM
And here I thought I was the only one who did waterchanges NAKED!!

That's why I got into warm water fish. My python hates cold water..:shocked:

Timbo
12-22-2006, 12:05 PM
My python hates cold water..:shocked:

shrinkage sucks. so, new question....does your python get all stiff when the water's cold? i noticed mine looses alot of its flexability

brewmaster15
12-22-2006, 12:18 PM
okay boys and girls... lets not get into too much detail on the secret workings of your pythons... thems usually considered trade secrets.

I'd hate to have someone mis-interpret information put out there in an ambiguous but good natured fashion..:)

Thanks,
al

tpl*co
12-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I've got the 100 ft python! Kinky, Kinky, Kinky (that's what I'm hunting and removing each water change)

Tina

AmberC
12-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I refuse to answer that question...on the grounds that Beth will KICK MY A$$ if I do!!

Tony:lipsrseal:

Thats ok! I dont think I wanted to know that anyways lol

White Worm
12-23-2006, 04:25 PM
shrinkage sucks. so, new question....does your python get all stiff when the water's cold? i noticed mine looses alot of its flexability

When outside with my python (draining process), it does become rather stiff in the cooler air as compared to more flexibility indoors with warmer temps. I try to stay with water at warmer temps to combat this problem. It becomes difficult to store your python (depending on length) until the stiffness subsides.

Harriett
01-02-2007, 07:51 PM
1. I have been LMAO
2. I have a 50 footer; I get the fastest drain when I put the python out the window (second floor) and let it drain into the garden, but it still takes too long for me....I read more these days, while I'm waiting.
3. I have a separate system in the upstairs kitchen where my QT tanks sit. With the python, it takes 15 minutes to empty a 40g breeder tank into the sink. I switched to a 1" internal diameter vinyl hose and it drains the same tank in 4 minutes.
4. If the python OUT THE WINDOW gets cold and inflexible, run hot water thru it for about 2 minutes and it will be easy to wrap again.
best regards
Harriett

Green Country Discus
01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
LOTFLMAO....how did I miss this thread. I only use my python for filling purposes...really! Draining with the python is like watching grass grow, real draining starts with a large hose and appropriate pump. As for the length of my python....I only use half the length for our needs :D ! Some of you are pretty twisted.. ;)

roclement
01-02-2007, 09:49 PM
My Python is green...: ) like a garden hose!

I just bought the conectors from Python and use it in a regular hose, they re a little wider than a regular Python and also don't allow light in them so no build-up in the tubbing. I also run hot water through it to lessen the stifness...you can always use a RV hose that is safe for human consumption.

Rod

FishLover888
01-02-2007, 10:29 PM
LMAO,

Hate to bring everyone back to the question.

What about the gravel vac? It only comes with a small openning to connecto to the hose. I think that's what slows down the flow rate. I'm thinking of buying some bigger hose just to drain the water faster after I vac the gravel.

You do want to be careful about the big hose. I bought an 1.8" hose and it sucked out all my gravel of the 125 g tank in few minutes. I was changing the gravel at that time because it was increasing my pH level. I did not know that till it was too late. It was not fun to change gravel for the 125 tank. Next time you need to change gravel, you know what to do.

wannabe68
01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I think my python is up to 75 feet. Haven't had it that long, still playing with it. Harrett, you mentioned you drain it out the window. I would love to do this also, but "how"? The pump is connected to the faucet to pump the water out of the tank. I shoots the water straight down into the sink. How do you "divert" the flow of water out the window??
While I'm on a roll here, another question. When you push the Pump mechanism "up" to fill the tank, I am running like crazy to get to the tank before the water flow gets there. Do you use the shut off valve? If so, there seems to be an awful lot of pressure when put in the tank. I would think this water pressure would be awfully stressful to my discus. Any comments would be appreciated.

fishmama
01-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Hey Wannabe-

I "run" too as I don't like the "blast" from releasing the shutoff. Suggestion: sprint or "fartlek" training works well ;-) Keeps you in shape!

I have several Pythons for different tanks in different areas of the house. Anywhere from 25 ft to 75 ft. And don't want to brag, but...my gravel syphons are 30 inches!

CAGE-RATTLER
01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
I think my python is up to 75 feet. Haven't had it that long, still playing with it.

LMAO :D

Since i have a sink in my fishroom i have a very small python now.

I too have noticed the hose stiffness problem especially when i hang it out the door and thought about trying a new water treatment i saw advertised but when i read ........... "If stiffness occurs longer than a 4 hour period you should seek professional help" , I decided against it ........... but the wife insisted i pick some up! ;)

wannabe68
02-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Fishmama- I am getting far too old to do that running bit. I have currently 5 tanks troughtout the house, with the sixth just now finished cycling. Discus are going into the new 75 gal this weekend from the 42 gal. Am thinking of getting 4 new discus for the soon to be empty 42 gal. How long will the 42 gal stay cycled without fish, before I loose all that "beneficial" bacteria? Any ideas?
Cagerattler- Haven't had the 4 hour period of stiffness, but am awaiting it. How do you hang the python out the door? It's connected to the faucet and empties down into the sink. Making one heck of a water mess, splashing around and all.

dishpanhands
02-01-2007, 10:05 AM
How long will the 42 gal stay cycled without fish, before I loose all that "beneficial" bacteria? Any ideas?

About 3 days you can feed it clear ammonia. It is the cheap stuff. Just make sure its pure. No soap in it....Just before you put more fish in it change 100% of your water.

CAGE-RATTLER
02-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Cagerattler- Haven't had the 4 hour period of stiffness, but am awaiting it. How do you hang the python out the door? It's connected to the faucet and empties down into the sink. Making one heck of a water mess, splashing around and all.

I dont use the pump at all and only connect to the sink to fill.

To drain i just fill the line with water, turn the shutoff valve, disconnect from sink and toss out the door into the garden, connect my vac tube & stick it in the tank, open the valve and the auto syphon starts draining the tank. When im at my desired level i just turn off the shutoff and put the vac end in the next tank and repeat. No sense in wasting tap water to drain tanks.

I made 2 attachments with pvc that i switch back n fourth ........ a straight pipe for a vac tube and a "J" tube to hang over the edge for filling giving me plenty of splash and offgassing when filling. You can also see the extension in the pic that i can add either to the J tube or vac tube if needed. i usually run hot water through the line for a few minutes before adjusting temps to refill just in case.

The valve on the end of the line is an oversised valve that doesnt restrict the waterflow.

When i finish filling i shutoff the valve and leave the hose full of water to easily start the vaccum the next time. My hose has been staying algae free so far and i believe since the hose is full with no air inside thats helping keep it clean. I have Y adapter with shutoffs (also over sized) so i can still use my sink with the hose attached.

wannabe68
02-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Dishpanhands- I am currently cycling my new discus tank with 6 tiger barbs. They have held up well and are desease free, as near as I can tell. Why couldn't I just put them in the old discus tank for a couple of days, before I pick up my New Discus? When the new Discus are ready to go into the tank, remove the barbs, do a 50% water change and put the new discus in the tank? Good idea or bad?