PDA

View Full Version : Disposal of meds

etr63
12-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Hi All
What is the best way to dispose of expired meds? I have some Prazi, Metro, and some antibiotics that have been laying around for several years. All are in loose powder form and I am not sure how to safely dispose of them.
Earl

Cosmo
12-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Earl,

My guess is incineration would be the propper method, but personally I wouldn't go that route... not even sure where I could find one :p

Flushing down the toilet in a municipal setting may be okay, but could disrupt things if you have a septic tank :confused: Maybe Seal them up tight in ziplocks and put them out with the trash :confused: Either way, you're exposing the environment somewhere to the meds, question would be if this would be a good thing or help develope a med resistant bacteria :confused: :confused:

Maybe Brewmaster will catch this one and comment, since he's a biologist his answer would be based on science and not speculation like mine :(

Jim

pcsb23
12-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Don't know if its the same in the USA but in the UK we can take them to a chemists (drug store) where they will deal with them. I've also had the vets take them before.

Cosmo
12-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Yeah, but the vets probably resell them :(

Wahter
12-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Earl, if you're in Lansing, can you check with MSU's college of veterinary medicine about disposing old medicines? If anyone would know, they ought to. :)

etr63
12-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi All
Thanks for the replies.
Cosmo
I read on the net that flushing is not a good idea with a municipal water system as some treatment plants my not be able to filter the meds out. I also dont feel comfortable with placing in the trash.
Paul
I didnt think about taking to a vets office to see if they will dispose of them for me.
Wahter
I will contact MSUs veterinary school It would be nice to have a contact there.
Does anyone know the shelf life of Metro and antibiotics? I know if for human use they say to dispose of after 1 year.
Earl