PDA

View Full Version : This has me puzzled!!!!!!!

Andres
12-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Dear friends on Simply Discus,

Need some help trying to figure out how my red turq died. I treated him for hex for 5 days with the dosage on the label and temp around 90 and 92 deg. With water changes on every dosage and salt. Now this was the first time since I had him that he got sick. Few days went by and I noticed his eyes got big and not eating and staying away from other discus. So he went to Q/T right away and I started to read some threads about this on Simply. Maracyn-two was the medication that I used. I also noticed that he looked bloated.

Not getting better just getting worse after 2 days of meds. He started to develop fin rot and ragged tail and deteriorating on 3rd day. The following day he looked real bad his face was black and not doing that well. Didn’t know weather to do another water change or just put him out of his misery. So I did the water change and treated again. 4 hrs went by and he just gave up. So my question is was this too much medication or was he too far gone from the hex?? This has me puzzled !!!!

Polar_Bear
12-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Andres,
From your description he didn't have Hex but an internal bacteria infection. Mayacin I would probably have helped more in this case.

Andres
12-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Polar_Bear,

He had white poo at first. So you think he had more infections or in this case this infection was not HEX??? But called something else???

Polar_Bear
12-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Andres,
I think that he may or may not have had flagellates, but the swelling and the pop eye lead me to highly suspect an internal bacterial infection. Also I have never seen Hex be fatal so quickly. Unfortunately raising the water temperature was just about the worst thing to do if it were bacteria since that only caused them to grow more quickly.

poconogal
12-26-2006, 02:15 PM
Andres,
I think that he may or may not have had flagellates, but the swelling and the pop eye lead me to highly suspect an internal bacterial infection. Also I have never seen Hex be fatal so quickly. Unfortunately raising the water temperature was just about the worst thing to do if it were bacteria since that only caused them to grow more quickly.

I agree 100% with Polar Bear - definitely sounds like an internal bacterial infection. Hex would not be fatal nearly that fast. If a bacterial infection is present it should be treated first and then the hex can be dealt with afterward.

pcsb23
12-26-2006, 02:47 PM
Andres, I too agree with Larry's (polar Bear) diagnosis. What made you think it was hex?

Andres
12-26-2006, 03:51 PM
Andres, I too agree with Larry's (polar Bear) diagnosis. What made you think it was hex?

White poo and not eating which I seen before. I thought white poo was also an internal infection?? So why didn’t metro take care of this problem? Also why didn’t maracyn-two help?? If the label treated the symptoms that this discus had!! But I guess is like Larry said “raising the water temperature was just about the worst thing to do if it were bacteria since that only caused them to grow more quickly”. Which I never lowered!! Can a discus have multiple symptoms?? When I stopped the metro treatment he didn’t have any more white poo. But also didn’t poo in Q/T.

Rod
12-26-2006, 04:05 PM
I also agree with the others.
While white poo and being off food is a symptom of hex it is also a symptom of several other diseases. Like most hobbiests we guess at problems and the treatment, sure they are educated guess's, but at the end of the day they are simply a guess with no scientific evidence. 2 minutes under a microscope would have told the truth.

Sorry you lost your fish.

Rod

pcsb23
12-26-2006, 04:44 PM
White poo can alos be down simply to the fish having not eaten and shedding its stomach lining, which sounds most likely in this case.

Agree with Rod too on this.

As for having multiple symptoms, if you mean can the symptoms point to multiple illnesses then the answer is yes. No-one said it was easy.

t_j
12-27-2006, 12:45 PM
I have a question, one of our WB's is bloated, not eating, and has white poo. Could this be the same thing as the red turq? Or is this just white poo? :confused: