PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning filter sponges

Apistomaster
12-25-2006, 10:42 PM
I have about 25 tanks with two large pedastel sponges per tank and I have grown tired of cleaning them by hand. So I bought a large mesh laundry bag that can hold them all, if necessary, and now I wash them in a machine set on warm water setting and just use a couple cups of bleach and run them through the cycle. I add dechlor to the final rinse cycle and they are restored to like new condition. This has been a real time saver and I have enough spare sponges so I always have a viable bacterial filter in operation at all times.

corey hinz
12-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Not sure that is a good idea, did you say bleach?

AADiscus
12-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Have you gone thru a new cycle in your tanks when doing this? Even cleaning our sponges on a daily basis at least we are still leaving bacteria in the sponge for the tank. Wouldn't a good wash like that and bleach get EVERYTHING out?

billeagan
12-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Have you gone thru a new cycle in your tanks when doing this? Even cleaning our sponges on a daily basis at least we are still leaving bacteria in the sponge for the tank. Wouldn't a good wash like that and bleach get EVERYTHING out?

That's what I was thinking. In the last line there is mention of spare sponges to avoid the cycle.

My guess is Apisto is only doing this to one of the filters at a time and waiting a few days before doing the others?

dandestroy
12-26-2006, 02:29 PM
I could see someone doing that once every 6 month or so, but having set new sponge in, quite before to compensate and not loose the cycle.