PDA

View Full Version : Magnets reduce algae?

Timbo
12-27-2006, 09:37 AM
i have seen a couple of posts where people claim that putting magnets on your water return from a cannister filter will reduce/eliminate algae. I am highly skeptical of this claim, but i guess anything is possible.

so...is it an urban myth or scientific fact?

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4007

Kindredspirit
12-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Then if it is true why do so many people still have an algae problem? Guess they do not have a magnet?

Tim you may have started something here ~ You could make a fortune:D and I could be your Assistant:p

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_5_2.gif

Squiggy
12-27-2006, 02:35 PM
I tried it....but none of my hoses were magnetic...:crazy:

Graham
12-27-2006, 03:49 PM
About 10 years ago it was all the rage within the pond hobby until someone, like the author of the article, used thier brain and figured out that it really couldn't have any effect on single cell algae floating by....it soon fell out of vogue, but does surface every now and then

G

RandalB
12-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Good Article Timbo...

Anyone else have anything on this?

RandalB

Timbo
12-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Tim you may have started something here ~ You could make a fortune:D and I could be your Assistant:p

somebody is already doing the bracelets, we'll have to do necklaces or something Marie if i'm going to keep you on the payroll. in the meantime...two cream, one sugar :)

dandestroy
12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
I own a 2"x2" X1" square neodymium N48 (that is the strongest natural magnet in the world). Once facing a seel plate it exert a 110 lbs pressure force on it (bouht that to do some magic trick)

I can give it a shot.

the only problem, its stopping my eheim from pumping when inside a 4 feet radius form the spining head.

and if I put it close to my canopy its going to blow my PC pretty quickly.

Seriously this does not make any sence to me, the only way I could see it happen is by bloking charge ions like Fe, or maybe the algua cells charge gets screw up by passing by, but I really doubt that.

Kindredspirit
12-27-2006, 09:01 PM
somebody is already doing the bracelets, we'll have to do necklaces or something Marie if i'm going to keep you on the payroll. in the meantime...two cream, one sugar :)

Oh that is funny! ..."two cream, one sugar"...and some strychnine? Oh and Tim? I shall take a Java Chip Frappiccino ~ double-blended no whip:D