PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Wild with Non-Wild

crash
12-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Hi,
I just saw green wild caught discus about 2-3 inch in size being sold in bigals.
I have a quarantine tank 40 gallon setup which i was planning to add 4 2-3 inch discus. Is it wise to put 1 wild with 3 non-wild discus?

Prolly not, but just wanted to confirm.

Ryan
12-28-2006, 07:48 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=54883

You can mix wild and domestic discus. If they are all coming from the same source, you can quarantine them together. If they are from different sources, quarantine them separately for the appropriate amount of time, then you can mix them.

Ryan

crash
12-29-2006, 12:00 AM
see problem is that , i only want to buy 1 wild discus from big als.
Other 3 will be from Bob Garside. The 3 wont be for another 3 weeks I think, and I want to keep them all in 45 gallon permanatly until they grow up.

So if I qurantine it for 3 weeks by itself, and then add 3 new is that an issue?

brewmaster15
12-29-2006, 09:00 AM
My guess is Bob will advise you not to mix his stock with a wild discus from bigals unless they are quaranteened extensively.. I would also advise not getting the wild green at all...at the size of 2-3 inches...one lone wild green is not going to be a happy camper by himself...The fish is already gone thru alot of stress getting here...

I'd get your fish from BOB first... qt them per his instructions., and then after all is said and done...pickup some wilds if you chose to...the season is young., and there seems to be a fair amount of the common wilds availible these days.

Hth,
al

billeagan
12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Agree with Al.... I always advise my customers that if they are going to hop from me to another person to buy to make sure they don't put the stock in the same QT tanks.

if you run into a problem you want to know where it came from.

crash
12-29-2006, 12:42 PM
I think i am going to take als advise and not buy the wilds.Problem is that here in toronto its sorta hard to find wilds, I have never seen it myself before. and the price wasnt bad either $44.99. I was thinking why not.

Thank you,

cobaltblue
12-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Hey Crash,

I was talking to the manager at Big Al here in Vancouver, and he told me that they have a new supplier for wild discus and will have them pretty much all the time now, in larger quantities. The big Als over here has quite a few heckels and blues right now and the prices are pretty much what you quoted, from 39.99 to 49.99. So i would just get Bobs fish first, then pick up some wilds down the road. That or set up another tank just for the wilds. That is what i am considering doing. :)

geekgeek
12-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey Crash,

I got 2 wilds (4"+) at big als on Wednesday. They are very nice. Big and round and pretty. I picked only 2 out of the fishes in 2 tanks. Picked the healtiest and nicest looking ones :) There were alot of choices. There are 2 big als in Vancouver.

They are quite healthy and they adapted to my tank quite nicely. Took them 3 days before they started to want food. I just feed them Frozen blood worms (big als feeds them that) for now until they are comfortable for flakes.. Big als has them for sale too $6 for 3 trays (35 cubes per tray).

I am a beginner. I even shocked them from ph6.3 at the store to ph7.0 in my tank. :( I am changing water daily to try to slowing lower the ph. They seem to be hardy.

Good luck if you do decide to get it. I don't seem many wilds showing up here.

Greg Richardson
12-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Anyone with pictures of BigAls latest supplier?
Just curious as the ones they show in their catalog are sub par discus imo.

Crash. If you are able to buy from Bob then you one lucky person imo.
I've seen really good fish from him and his reputation for taking care of his fish is excellent.

geekgeek
12-30-2006, 01:47 PM
I agree with Greg, most of the discus at Als are not good. But if you have 2 tank of them to chose from, you can pick one or two. I managed to pick one only out of 2 tanks. I got the 2nd one so that this first one won't be lonely.

But the price and also you get to pick the fish may be worth it if you only want 2. The cost of shipping would be the price of the 2 discus I got. For a beginner like me, it is the ideal way to get started. Maybe a bad idea to start with wild but it is a start.

If I were to order 6-7 or them then I think it may be better to order from the sponsors.

crash
12-30-2006, 04:38 PM
hi,
I think you guys are right. I am going wait for Bob's fish. I have seen some pictures too and it seems he has a great selection.

the wilds at bigals were excellent shape and quality. they were quite round and very active.

What I am also wondering is,if anyone in toronto sells wilds other than bigals. I like to buy it from a local breeder than bigals because the breeders.