PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions for a new tank (and hobbyist)

tivar
12-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Hello everyone,
I am new to the new forum and live in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I have had a ten gallon aquarium before but got a 46 gallon bow front tank (36x16x20) for Christmas and Birthday (same day). It is in the process of cycling. When done, I have decided I want to make it a discus tank with a few other small fish to complement (tetras, BN pleco, cory's, etc). I got an Eheim Ecco 2235 (<80G tanks), a 200 W heater, and thanks to a suggestion on another thread, I just ordered a Eheim automatic feeder. My questions are as follows:

1. Do I need to add an aeration pump? I have got mixed information from people at LFS with them saying that the ripple across the water will be enough. If you think I do need one, which would you recommend? The loudness (or lack thereof) is really important.

2. I currently have the 25W flourescent light that came with the tank. Do you think I need additional light? (I do not have any plants). The aquarium looks dark currently but I think that will clear as the driftwood finishing releasing tannins.

3. If anyone is familiar with the Michigan or Northwest Ohio regions, could you suggests breeders or shops that have good quality discus and willing to provide advise? I have tried to access the breeders and dealers site on this forum but was unable.

Thanks for your help in advance. Hope everyone had a good holiday and wish a happy new years!

Tivar

pcsb23
12-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Tivar, happy birthday and Christmas :) and welcome to Simply too.

If you are getting surface movement then you don't need an airstone in there, though if yopu want one it won't hurt.

Discus don't need light, provided you can see them ok once the water has cleared thast all that matters.

I'm not from the USA so can't help goegraphically, though I'm sure if you pm'd the sponsors you would get a positive result. They are the best place to start imo.

marilyn1998
12-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Preuss Animal House in Lansing is a great store to start off with. They have alot of stuff and some great people that know alot. Compare prices, tho, as some things are higher priced.

Another place is Cary Strong's place in Farmington Hills, Choice Aquariums. They will have healthy discus and be able to help you alot.

Both of these places have websites.

AADiscus
12-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Welcome to Simply.

Do you have a background on your tank? If so, is it dark? You might want a light colored one, it will show off the discus (you get) more. Any light will work for discus and since you don't have live plants then no worry there. Remember a few things when starting out. Tank temp around 84-86. Make sure and QT any new discus if you have put or will put BN or any other fish in the tank. Or vice versa. You don't want anything coming in from another source to affect your current stock when you get them. There is some good sources in your area or not to far for shipping that would be inexpensive for you. Do look at the sponsor section. Also try staying away from a LFS for purchasing discus IMO.

Good luck and by the way happy B-day!

FishLover888
12-29-2006, 12:18 AM
You don't need an air pump as long as you can see the ripples on the surface. I would use the return outlet of the filter to create surface movement. If you really want an air pump, try a Whisper brand. Buy the smallest, which is good enough for just creating gas exchange. They look like a buy standing on 4 rubber feet.

Your light should be good enough since you don't have plants. If you don't have QT tank, put the other fish in first for few weeks without any problem before getting the discus. It is best to go to the breeder to pick up the one you like. LFS is the worst place for buying discus IMO.

One more thing, try to get a feel of your water pH. How it changes before and after water change. You don't want wide swings of pH for sure.

Alight
12-30-2006, 01:27 PM
You don't mention it, but it would be best to get rid of gravel if you have put any in the tank. There are lots of ways to make a bare bottom tank look great!

You will save yourself lots of trouble if you take this advice.

Whisper air pumps are quiet and efficient, as already mentioned. Use a bubble wand for less noise. A long airstone also can be fairly quiet.

As mentioned, you don't really need the bubbles if you don't overcrowd the tank.

tivar
12-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...they are really helpful.

I think I will get an air pump for the water change bucket...it is going to be in another room so noise will not be an issue.

As per the pH of the water, I was planning on using Wardley's 3-in-1 water conditioner that removes chlorine/chloramine but also helps buffer the pH. They have for pH 6.5 that I was planning on using.

The bottom of the tank has 1-2 inches of sand but I will look into the bare bottom tank. From what I hear, I am going to end up losing a lot of sand anyway when I clean the bottom of the tank so it may became bare soon anyway.

Tivar

Ardan
12-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Welcome!
You have been given some great advice.

As per the pH of the water, I was planning on using Wardley's 3-in-1 water conditioner that removes chlorine/chloramine but also helps buffer the pH. They have for pH 6.5 that I was planning on using.

If your ph is stable from the tap, or if you age it and it becomes stable, then this ph adjuster may not be necessary as discus live in a wide range of ph's.

This may get expensive, so a chlorine or chloramine remover may be all that is necessary and would be cheaper.

hth
Ardan