PDA

View Full Version : My New Silver Pigeon Blood Discus

metfan581
12-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Hello,
I bought a new fish yesterday. He was labeled as a Silver Pigeon Blood Discus. He seemed to be doing well in the tank so I took him home. While at the store I also bought some new plants. After the six hour car ride he seemed to be doing well. So I let him float in the tank, while I rescaped the tank. I took about 45 minuets to acclimate him. Once released into the tank he swam around the tank and looked great. 30 minuets later the lights went out and I went to bed. Then this morning I saw him laying in the gravel. I figured he was sleeping cause then I saw him move around later. I feed the fish tetra color bits and he ate them. It sound so far so good but he does not spend time with the other fish and seems to have his fins shut more than what I would think would be normal. I am going to do a water change later. Is that all I should do? Is he going to be alright? Another problem/question I have is… I have a small red melon and he seems to be picked on. His fins are a little torn and he likes laying on things. There are now more places for him to hide. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
metfan581

Ps The guy at the pet store told me to buy this liquid Amazon Rain. Does anyone use it? Should I add some after the water change?

brewmaster15
12-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi,
I'm going to try not to sound preachy here, but It was probably not a good start for the fish to just add it to the tank with out QT... The fishes behavior is definetly not good... Do you have a hospitol tank you can put it in?

I'm concerned that you may have just introduced a problem into your tank.:(

All Discus should be QT'd.

-al

billeagan
12-29-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm also concerned by moving stuff around in your tank you stirred up a bunch of bad stuff....

What are your readings?

metfan581
12-30-2006, 06:11 PM
I tested yesterday and today...

NO3 >5

Ph 6? I dont know I tested it and got 6/6.2 and i did a water change and it is constent

ammonia = 0

they seem to have a body fungus?

any ideas what to do

i added stress coat and the temp is still at 86

thanks,
metfan581

pcsb23
12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
It sounds as though you have introduced a pathogen into the tank most probably with the new discus. Also the new discus has been directly exposed to the pathogens that will exist in the tank when it was at its weakest and most stressed, ie after a 6 hour journey and being floated in a bag for nearly an hour and has therefore succumbed.

Again I can only re-iterate what Al said above, everything should be quarantined, no ifs, buts or maybes. The reasons for QT are to avoid situations like you now find yourslef in. Sorry don't mean to lecture.

On top of this they are in a planted tank which will make medicating them more difficult. Do you have another qt or hospital tank at all?

Stress coat as a dechlor is probably ok, as a med its not very good and certainly will do nothing for fungus if that is what they now have.

Fungus is like cotton wool and stands clear of the body. Is that what this looks like? or does it look like a whitish cloudy sheen? Any chance of apic?

First line of defence here would be salt dips, 2 to 3 tablespoons salt per gallon water in a clean bucket, net the fish and dip for 20 mins. Dont add salt to a planted tank, it will kill the plants.

metfan581
12-30-2006, 08:16 PM
yes it is like cotton ..... the reason i didnt do qt was because i thought that he would only get stressed because he was all alone...

is there any way to avoid the salt baths because i rather not do that

thanks,
metfan581

Darren's Discus
12-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Better he be alone than dead,you really should have a hospital tank,why don't you want to do salt bath's don't just hope he will get better sometimes they need a helping hand.

cheers

brewmaster15
12-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I guess if I was to try other than what has been suggested...I'd try a broad spectrum medicine like Furan 2 and treat the whole tank.
HTH,
-al

metfan581
12-30-2006, 09:29 PM
I dont want to do a salt bath because i think i might wind up killing the fish...

should I take out the plants and salt the tank?

t_j
12-30-2006, 09:48 PM
I dont want to do a salt bath because i think i might wind up killing the fish...

should I take out the plants and salt the tank?

The fish shouldn't die if you do a salt bath if any thing it will help them. If you can move the plants some where else then I would do that.

AmberC
12-30-2006, 10:21 PM
I had to do a salt bath once with some juvies I was having issues with. Paul and Ardan helped me out with that.

I was told that if the fish should start to lay flat on its side, just get it out quick and back into the tank.

Doing a salt bath is really not that bad. That was my first time doing it and none of the juvies had an issue with it. It really will help. Do you just need more specifics on exactly how to do it? I know I wanted to know EXACLTY what to do when I did it so I didn't harm the fish. It will help them to feel better.