PDA

View Full Version : Other meat than beefheart ??

dpt8
12-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I like Carol's procedure of cutting the beef heart intpo 1/2 in ch pieces, then grinding it through the salad shooter, then freezing these little strips. Can we use steak or a roast rather than beefheart?? That way I would have to wrestle with cleaning it or veins??

GC_PAUL
12-30-2006, 12:25 PM
When I can't get beef heart I use Eye Of the round roast, very lean and fish love it.

dpt8
12-30-2006, 12:47 PM
Great idea, Thanks..

ShinShin
12-30-2006, 06:24 PM
It's not a good idea to use any other cuts of beef even though others do. Sure, the fish may it it, but in the end, it will have devastating effects on your discus. This is not my opinion, rather facts based on empherical data from scientific research.

If you don't want to be bothered with cleaning or grinding beefheart for whatever reasons, I might suggest you just buy 99% fat free ground turkey breast. However, there are better suited diets for discus than either BH or the 99% fat free turkey.

Mat

dpt8
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Larry, Right now I feed tetra bits, some flake and frozen bloodworms to my 5" santarems. I feed the same to my 4" discus plus Cichlid delight and Frozen Formula 1 because the smaller ones eat it. I don't want to get into feeding live food, so what else would you suggest I feed my discus toi keep them heavy, full looking. Mine seem to be narrow in body. Thanks again, David

ShinShin
01-07-2007, 05:43 PM
You can go with BH in addition to your pellets and flake if you like. Salmon, shrimp, and earthworms are also good choices. I have never tried the salad shooter method on any frozen food.

Mat