PDA

View Full Version : rubbing on object?

cn84
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
couple days ago i noticed that some of my discus was rubbing on the heater and filter? they are still rubbing, is this a sign of sickness? there are 30 one-two inches discus in a 55g barebottom, w/c 50% everyday, i raise the temp to 90 degree, frozen worm and tetra bit.

dandestroy
01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
most of the time it is sign of fluke (well treated with prazipro), but sometimes they do that before spawning or has teritorial behavior. Based on the fact they are small and probably young I would tend toward external parsite.

What are you water parameter?, your setup, plants? bottom? and can you post a picture.

Jeff B
01-01-2007, 06:18 PM
With that number of fish and with the rubbing you describe you may also notice the respiration rate in some may have increased and also uneven gill movement. This may also help you in determining the problem .... as that would be another pointer towards gill flukes. ..... HTH .... http://www.discusfishuk.com/discusfishforum//style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

cn84
01-01-2007, 06:50 PM
what would be the best treatment? Salt? temp? med?

brewmaster15
01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Medications containing Praziquantel are a good choice,...jehmco.com sells pure prazi...another med containing praziquantel is Prazi-pro.

Formalin can also be used.

-al

Graham
01-01-2007, 08:57 PM
That's a lot of fish in 55 gallons of water ...1st off what are the water parameters..pH, NH3, N02, KH and NO3

That rubbing is called flashing and it can be caused by poor water or any one of a number of different parasites, not just flukes...basically anything that is ''itching or irritating'' the fish.

Know anyone with a microscope

G