PDA

View Full Version : Discus spawned

dogday7
01-02-2007, 12:53 PM
My discus spawned in my comunity tank, (90 gal.) and I put a devider in the tank so they could be by them selves. It looks like about 200 eggs,about 30 has turned white,the others look OK. It has been about 45 hours since they spawned, I was wondering what to expect next?
my discus are very young I bought 6 about 4 months ago when they were about 2 1/2" they are about 5 1/2" now.
John

pcsb23
01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
John, congrats on the spawn. IF the eggs are fertile then in another 24 hours or so they will hatch and become wigglers, from there they will go free swimming in another day or so and if you are incredibly lucky will attach to the parents. If the divider is pass through though they will become tasty snacks for other fish.

Not wanting to burst the bubble as getting discus to spawn and ultimately raise young is a heck of an experience. However young/new parents often eat the eggs at the most inopportune moments or the wigglers etc. Don't worry though if you get wigglers you've got a confirmed pair, let them practice or stick them in a breeder tank. It is rare for the first spawn to be successful, but it does happen. :)

wolfbane
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
John congrats on the spawn! always good to know that they like their enviroment and are healthy. Mine spawn regularly in the community 150 gal tank, they have gotten as far as freeswimmers for 2 days, then they disappeared. :( Ah well, Its fun to watch them, maybe set up a breeder tank, if they are a good pair?