PDA

View Full Version : Identify a Discus

saroberts
01-03-2007, 12:58 AM
First off I would like to thank everyone that has posted questions and answers to this forum. I've learned a lot just reviewing what is aready here.

While waiting to get approvals from my boss (you know the wife...) to purchase my growout tank and supplies, I've been doing a lot of web research trying to find some discus that I like.

Only one of the LFS in my area has good looking discus for sale. My kids have done well with other fish we have purchased there so I'm comfortable with how they treat and handle their fish.

They have told me the discus they have come from a distributor on the east coast. The company resells them for 'Hans'. I found the web site just before Christmas, but forgot to save the URL.

There is one of the discus they have that I have been researching the most. They identify it as a 'Blue Snakeskin'.

Some of the other images I have found on the web do not agree with their identication. My image attachment includes the fish in question. It is the fourth one from the left.

Can someone (or several someones) provide their identification and why they feel it is what they say?

I would appreciate it.

Steve

greyhoundfan
01-03-2007, 01:05 AM
You probably mean 5th from the left. It looks like a bluesnakeskin to me.

Many breeders will have different names for the same type of fish. Blue snakeskins are generally more solid, with fine line striations on their bodies. If bluesnakeskins are what you like check out Dan at Gulfcoast discus. He is a breeder/importer. He has some nice ones..Unless he sold them all already. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Here's a pic he posted on the General Board.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q180/GCDiscus/00000IMG_2183copy.jpg

Dan, hope you don't mind me borrowing your pic. Just trying to help Steve out.

pcsb23
01-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Steve, I agree with Reid the 5th one from the left is a snakeskin. You may well find you will get higher quality discus and possibly even save some money by talking with one of the sponsors on here.

saroberts
01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. I now know I was misinformed.

Today I was told my favorite was a Blue High Fin. Here is an image of one.

Does anyone agree with the name?

aquaticplantman
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Hi Steve,

I must live not 10 minutes from you. I think I know what LFS you're referring to. I don't want to bash them at all, but I'll tell you that they're very liberal with their discus naming. Actually, they just keep the name that whatever supplier they got the fish from was calling them, no matter how wrong they are.

Anyway, the single picture you posted would be hard to identify. I'd call it a brown discus, but with more striations than a brown typically has. Ignore any name with "high fin" or "super" in it. If a fish has high fins, it's just a nicer single specimen, not necessarily a superior strain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are not actual pics of the fish from the store. I'm pretty sure there isn't a store in a hundred miles of us that has the quality of fish in those pictures -- or at least not all of them at the same time.

It's good to see another local discus hobbiest. There aren't a whole lot around here.

Later,
-- Matt H.

aloha_discus
01-05-2007, 10:07 AM
The pic in question looks to be a Red Turquoise. I dont want to bash the store but they are not kept in the right conditions IMO. Ive been there a couple of times and was asked what was wrong, gave my opinion twice and nothing was done each time. Check around, Matt has some very nice snakeskins and turks. He also knows what he doing.

Ike

saroberts
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks again for the replies.

It's nice to see others in the area that are close by. I've noticed Matt on a couple of other threads, and may be contacting him later about a water storage barrel or two.

Ike, are you near the Omaha area also? It looks like it from your comments.

The picture I posted was from a web site in France. It was the only one I could find that had the discus I was interested into. Now at least when I check out the sponsors, I'll have a better chance of getting the one I want.

One other question, are the red dots also assoicated with a 'turk' or are they found on others also?

Steve

Polar_Bear
01-05-2007, 10:59 AM
SA,
I agree with Ike that the one is most likely an RT. As for the "red dots", spotting is most closely associated with the various Leopards, LSS (Leopard Snakeskin) probably being the most well known, and also with RSGs (Red Spotted Green).