PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

moik
01-03-2007, 01:47 PM
As I am debating on moving my fish tanks to the basement. Which would make life alot easier for taking care of them. I have a 25x13 room in the basement, which I am planning on finishing (build walls and ceiling) My question to you is the one long wall(25ft.) is going to have my washer and dryer on one side and the other long wall is going to have all my tanks on it (new racks and plumbing for overflows). As me and my buddy were talking. He said i should try to isolate the tanks from the laundry room part of it, for sake of soap fumes and any other smell that would get airborn from doing laundry. I am in a little predicamate on trying to do this. My basement layout is screwed up and this is the only spot I can do this, and putting up a partition wall is not an option. My dryer vents outside and my wife very rarely uses bleach. So is this going to be an issue on moving my tanks down stairs? Any help or experiences would be appreciated.

aquaticplantman
01-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I think your friend is just being way overly cautious. The only danger would be if somehow those detergents got directly into the aquarium -- and that would be a huge human mistake, not something that just floated over through the air.

In the summer the last two years, my fish room has gotten infested with flies. I spray a bug killer on the window sills and in the air, then shut the door and leave it for at least 15 minutes. All the while my Jehmco air pump is sucking in that insecticide-filled air and pumping it into the tanks. The point is, that anything that is volatile enough to float through the air is too volatile to stay in the aquarium water in enough of a concentration to do any damamge.

-- Matt H.

senso
01-03-2007, 02:51 PM
moik
I currently have a few tanks in a small basement that also has the 'laundry room'. I have Altums in one tank and honestly this remains the best tank in the house. Maybe the fumes are helping the plant and fish health?

Polar_Bear
01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
I agree with Matt. btw our laundry room and tanks are in our basement and this has never caused a problem for us.

moik
01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking the same as your replies state. I was just making sure. My friend is an older guy with many years of fish breeding and raising under his belt, I value his opinion and everybodies here. Thanks for all the help, very much appreciated

billeagan
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Agree, a little overly cautious. You will just need to make sure no chemcials end up in your changing buckets or on your siphon.

jpfelix
01-10-2007, 11:29 PM
my reef support system sits next to the washer & dryer and i've never had any problems with soap fumes or dryer sheet fumes. you should be fine. just be aware of your co2 levels as they may increase in your basement.