PDA

View Full Version : Chat Chat chat...ratatatatat...

brewmaster15
01-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi all,

Ryan has installed a new chat system for the board...Give it a try and say hello to your fellow forum friends... The link is located in the tool bar above between The Simply Discus Library link and the itrader one.

You will need Flash installed ( it gives you a link to install it if you don't have it) and you may need to tinker with your pop up blockers....but We just tooled around there and everything seems to work well...

As always let us know if theres any problem.

You'll notice that your screen names are the same ...This chat is linked to SD and as such you need to be logged in to SimplyDiscus.. Please keep the conversation civil and be mindful of others... We are looking at this chatroom as an extension of the forum and its rules.

You can see whose in the chat room at the bottom of this page where the online info is for the forum.

Thanks and enjoy...
-al

ps. Thanks Ryan!:)

Polar_Bear
01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Well that's pretty slick! It automatically logs you out

AmberC
01-04-2007, 07:41 PM
awesome!! this will be fun! :D

AmberC
01-04-2007, 09:18 PM
Al and Ryan.. I am having issues with the chat. When you change the settings under the "Options" button, it does not let you see any more messages after that. And I am not the only one Ryan! So there! :p Mike.. where are ya?

White Worm
01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
same thing, it wouldnt scroll down so you could see new messages. Must be just a new quirk. If you leave and reenter, it works fine.

Ryan
01-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Guys, I'll say it again... I test software to make sure it works on our end. Every computer is different. You're dealing with web browsers, which all come in different versions, plus you have different ISP's, different firewall programs, different internet security programs, different versions of Flash made by different manufacturers, etc.

I've used the application on 3 computers today -- two at home and one at work. I'm using Internet Explorer 7 (the new one) and FireFox 2 on each of these 3 computers and I haven't had any issues yet.

My suggestion is to make sure that all your programs are up to date, this includes your Flash player. I can't guarantee that software is going to function the same on every machine. I can only do so much. If it were a server issue or something on our end, everyone would be experiencing problems with it. I'm not sure what else I can do. :confused:

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Sweet, works great for me. I guess its time to start a weekly chat night!! Those were the good days...

-Ryan

Kindredspirit
01-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm not sure what else I can do. :confused:

....and you do quite a lot Ryan ~ this we all know ~ Al just wanted people to post any problems with the Chat Sec ~ so ......I did not really have any there

....now my 'reply' ....still take a few min but I am sure that will rectify itself ~ sometimes we have to just deal, ya know?

All the wrinkles need to be ironed out in Chat ~ as is the case for anything new:) But I love it:D

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_2_15.gif

AADiscus
01-05-2007, 12:24 PM
I think it is neat. Andrew was gonna test it out last night but he couldn't log into chat. I was cooking dinner and told him to try mine. IT WORKED. lol So I finished dinner and chatted with a few that was on. I think Ryan has fixed Andrews problem now.

I think it is a neat way to chat with everyone here on board.

Is there a way to set up different rooms. It seems a little confusing when about 5 of us were talking and all on different subjects? Is there also a place for just moderators to chat? I think I saw a spot but wasn't forsure if that is what it was or not.

Ryan
01-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Angela,

I fixed Andrew's problem. I gave registered members access but I forgot to give Sponsors access. They have it now and should be able to log in fine.

Yes, moderators have their own chat section. It's only accessibly by mods and admins. We can set up different areas of chat but I figured most of the time we'd all just be chatting in general anyway. If we do chats on specific topics I may set up a "Chit Chat" room in addition to a room for the topic being discussed. This should make things less confusing and you won't have on-topic discussion mixed with random chatting.

AmberC
01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I do think its really cool. Its better than all the other forum chat functions I have been on. Didn't mean to just put it down. I apologize.

Squiggy
01-05-2007, 01:20 PM
I can't seem to type anything in chat....As soon as I touch my keyboard, all of the boxes minimise....:crazy:

White Worm
01-05-2007, 01:39 PM
works good now, Al just wanted to know any probs. Seems to have worked itself out. No problems and great idea to get instant info. Angela, you can chat one on one. Just click on a name up on the right and you can pm / chat alone. I wonder why I cant see my own avatar next to my name but I can see others? You can create a room also, marie did it already (surprised?)

GrillMaster
01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
What a great idea!! Works good for me...

Now all I have to do is learn to type! :p

Squiggy
01-05-2007, 02:42 PM
I tried, Ryan....No go. I have the latest flash so its not that. Even the PM window closed when I tried to reply....:(

Ryan
01-05-2007, 02:43 PM
That's bizarre... what browser are you using?

Squiggy
01-05-2007, 02:44 PM
The newest IE...updated 2 weeks ago

Ryan
01-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Do you have any internet firewall software or security software?

What happens when you click inside the box where you type, and then try typing? Does it log you out and show you a login screen for chat, or does it take you back to the forum main page? Something else?

Squiggy
01-05-2007, 02:50 PM
The text box to type your message minimizes to the bar with the red and green buttons...so does the user list box on the right

Ryan
01-05-2007, 02:55 PM
One thought, Joe... after you reinstalled the new version of Flash, did you clear Simply out of your cookies/history and refresh? You can go to the FlashChat page and hit Ctrl + F5 at the same time on your keyboard if you don't want to clear the cookies for all your other saved websites.

If that didn't work, back to the drawing board.

Squiggy
01-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Still a no go...I hope everyone who tried to chat with me realizes I can't reply...:D

brewmaster15
01-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi Joe,

I hate an unsolved problem.. can you do me a favor... try the following

1.If you have any ad blocking software installed...try turning it off.
2.firewall..turn it off
3.Try installing Firefox...its free... Just want to see if browser related.

if anyone is having issues try some of the above...may help us figure things out.

-al

Squiggy
01-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Same problem in FireFox, Al...Guess its time for a new puter....:D

brewmaster15
01-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Naw... Just time for some more intense Trouble shooting..

how'd you make out with the firewall? do you have one? how about the popup blocker...many tool bars now include them.

-al

Kindredspirit
01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
I went just now to IE as I could not even open threads much less reply or go from page to page without the three min wait:( AOL is not playing well with Simply these days ~

But now I am whippin thru! Talk about fast:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_11.gif

brewmaster15
01-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Joe,

one other thought...what kind of a processor does your computer have?is it an older computer?

-al

Squiggy
01-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Its a Toshiba Notebook. Intel Celeron 1.5 GHz. A couple years old...I left my Mac in Jersey. :(

Ryan
01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I went just now to IE as I could not even open threads much less reply or go from page to page without the three min wait:( AOL is not playing well with Simply these days ~

But now I am whippin thru! Talk about fast:)

Marie ~ http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/28/28_4_11.gif

AOL does not play well with most websites unless they are designed for or by AOL users. AOL raves about how user-friendly they are, but it's not the case with most of the websites out there, especially things like forums or online communities that require you to store login details and such.

My suggestion for everyone with AOL is to use an outside browser like Firefox or IE. They are free to download and they won't limit your browsing capabilities like AOL has been known to do. I know this is an ongoing issue because I've logged onto Simply many times from a friend's AOL account and it never works. I always have to go through an outside browser.

Ryan

AADiscus
01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Thats one way of banning someone.. They can only post Smileys. lol J/k Joe. Your a great person.

Squiggy
01-06-2007, 08:54 PM
:antlers: