PDA

View Full Version : Raising fry question

TJR
01-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Need advice! I have a great pair that are completely healthy, and they have sucessfuly raised their fry. Once the fry get to be around 3-4 weeks they start dying off. Their does not seem to be any breathing dificulty or external signs of disease. The only thing that I can think of is a bacterial infection or something that is not visible. I have Prazi and Formulin. Should I start a treatment after I seperate the fry from the parents? What do you reccomend?
Any help or hints will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Treva

Green Country Discus
01-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Raising fry is a lot of work and attention to detail. Wipe your tank every other day, clean your sponge every other day minimum, waterchange 100% per day or more, feed,feed,feed and clean some more. After they are 1.5" they are much tougher, two weeks later they are 2" and ready to sell ;) .
HTH

annieb
01-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Need advice! I have a great pair that are completely healthy, and they have sucessfuly raised their fry. Once the fry get to be around 3-4 weeks they start dying off. Their does not seem to be any breathing dificulty or external signs of disease. The only thing that I can think of is a bacterial infection or something that is not visible. I have Prazi and Formulin. Should I start a treatment after I seperate the fry from the parents? What do you reccomend?
Any help or hints will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Treva
That is a very common occurance. I treat my fry for flukes at about 10 days free swimming as a standard practice, using 2 drops to the gallon of formalin. There are other good flukes treatments out there as well. They don't die off any more.

diamond_discus
01-06-2007, 01:36 AM
I just do daily water change (with 24 hours aged & heater water)... feed a lot .. .but never did use any medication. I feed them chopped frozen blood worm, color bits, golden pearl and flake powder.

ShinShin
01-07-2007, 05:34 PM
You might want to elimenate the the bloodworms from their diet at this age. Very small discus have difficulty digesting bloodworms and a combination of bloodworms and some prepared dried foods have been known to cause intestinal problems in young fry.

Mat