PDA

View Full Version : Wilds Update

Polar_Bear
01-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Ingrid took most of these photos today (I know what most of you are thinking and let me say this, I have always said I suck at photography) anyway, they seem to be coming along nicely.

brewmaster15
01-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Looking Good Larry! they look like they are settling in nicely.:)

-al

pcsb23
01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
That one in the last pic, is it cleaning the plant pot??

Polar_Bear
01-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Paul,
I wish! It's just a trick of the camera though. Hopefully I'll be getting them to breed down the road though. The fish in question is still a juvenile at about 3 1/2" SL.

Darren's Discus
01-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the update,look like there travelling along nicely !

cheers

AmberC
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
Looking good Lar! Great pics Ingrid!

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks Al, Darren and Amber :-)

Apistomaster
01-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Those are nice fish and photos. Ever notice aside from the difference in eye color how the diameter of the eyes of Heckels are smaller relatively small compared to those of other types of discus?
Larry W.

thang45
01-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Larry,

I like the one with dark bar in the second picture to the right. I have never seen a heckel discus in person before.

Just a few questions:

How big can they grow? What is a good price for a heckel? Do you know any good source to get it from in Canada?

billeagan
01-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Larry,

Looking great! You are starting to really fatten them up nicely!
Bill

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Those are nice fish and photos. Ever notice aside from the difference in eye color how the diameter of the eyes of Heckels are smaller relatively small compared to those of other types of discus?
Larry W.

Larry,
Yes I agree with you, smaller and redder eyes on the Heckels. Ingrid took the photos with her new camera, that Santa Bear brought her <grin>

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Larry,

I like the one with dark bar in the second picture to the right. I have never seen a heckel discus in person before.

Just a few questions:

How big can they grow? What is a good price for a heckel? Do you know any good source to get it from in Canada?

Thang,
Thang,
Heckels tend to be a bit smaller than S. aequifasciatus, or domestics. not a lot but a a bit smaller. I believe Bill Eagan can ship to you, although I'm not positive, just drop him a PM. I got mine from Bill in the $30 US price range, of course he lives near me so I didn't have to pay shipping.

Squiggy
01-08-2007, 02:14 PM
well....here I am...up at the crack of noon....and youve already posted pictures...........:crazy:

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Larry,

Looking great! You are starting to really fatten them up nicely!
Bill

Thanks Bill! Yep I am very pleased with their progress so far, I will be splitting up the S. discus, and the S. aequifasciatus into seperate 75 gallon tanks this week. Once the ones I get from you this weekend are out of QT they will be going into their respective tanks (8 Heckels in one 75, 7 or 8 S aequifasciatus in the other 75). I had moved the discus in the above photos only about a half hour before the pictures were taken, they are now under a different light source (daylight bulb instead of a "plant" light) and Ingrid was shocked. Her first comment was "Oh my God they're beautiful!". I think I'm safe for the time being anyway <grin>

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:19 PM
well....here I am...up at the crack of noon....and youve already posted pictures...........:crazy:

I posted them yesterday, if you weren't so busy destroying your computer trying to chat you would have noticed that <grin> and <ducking>
btw I got the last 55 empty and moved this morning, I should be moving the last 75 into it's place this afternoon or tomorrow sometime, the fish in the 55 went into the 30 just so I don't have to hurry too much. I would wait until Wednesday to come up here if I were you, otherwise I am likely to put you to work <grin>

Squiggy
01-08-2007, 02:24 PM
:undecided:

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
:undecided:

What? Come up whenever you like, you already know that.

Squiggy
01-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I know...but....WORK?.... :crazy:

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 02:45 PM
I DID say wait until Wednesday so you don't have to do any work... Actually I'm getting antsy anyway, it will probably be done today. You already know how much patience I have <grin> But who knows? Maybe I can flood the basement again.

billeagan
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
I know...but....WORK?.... :crazy:

Do you believe he would accuse of working or even think about working?

billeagan
01-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I DID say wait until Wednesday so you don't have to do any work... Actually I'm getting antsy anyway, it will probably be done today. You already know how much patience I have <grin> But who knows? Maybe I can flood the basement again.

I had another flood myself... I flushed my r/o unit into my regular tap barrels and was so proud I remembered to start the timer..... Shut off teh r/o and go to bed...

Well I forgot to switch the discharge hose from the tap barrels to the drain... since the flow was restricted it only took me a little over an hour to clean up and I was late to work =(

Polar_Bear
01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Bill, you'll love this one. Both of the 75's I got are drilled, right in the frickin center under the center brace. My rack isn't deep enough so I had to just cap them off. I was filling one and setting up the canister filter for it. I turned on the filter and all of a sudden water was flowing everywhere. I look at all the filter connections... no leaks. By this time I'm thinking ***? Then it occured to me that I had forgotten to plug the hole in that tank, there wasn't even a bulkhead installed in it yet! <doh!>

billeagan
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Bill, you'll love this one. Both of the 75's I got are drilled, right in the frickin center under the center brace. My rack isn't deep enough so I had to just cap them off. I was filling one and setting up the canister filter for it. I turned on the filter and all of a sudden water was flowing everywhere. I look at all the filter connections... no leaks. By this time I'm thinking ***? Then it occured to me that I had forgotten to plug the hole in that tank, there wasn't even a bulkhead installed in it yet! <doh!>

thats great! I can picture you standing looking at the tank like what is your problem!!

BTW, I washed the floor this weekend with real soap so the basement should be clean =)