PDA

View Full Version : Which plecos are good with Discus?

BigAlFromCal
01-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey all, I've got a 65g tank with 5 discus (from 3" to 7"), some clown loaches (yes, I know they'll grow bigger!), some SAE's and otos and a single gold nugget pleco. The pleco is awesome and I have no issues with him at all. But I'm thinking of starting a second discus tank and I have a tiger pleco and a bristlenose pleco in there already. Are these guys decent with the discus?
I'm also getting a 180g later this month and planning on moving the 65g inhabitants into it. Like the 65g, it will be planted, co2 injected and have lots of driftwood. Obviously, one pleco can't handle bottom duties on this monster alone. The clowns will do some, but I would like to add at least one other pleco. What's a good choice? No breeding planned, just enjoying.

Evan
01-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I have BN plecos, no issues.

Bainbridge Mike
01-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Look for plecos in the ancistrus family. Good luck,
Mike

Elite Aquaria
01-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I agree BN Plecos are the best IMO...They do not get much over 3 - 4 inches in size.

Dan

jpfelix
01-08-2007, 09:44 PM
pitbull pleco's are nice to get also.

phalough
01-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I just wanted to let you know that many plecos are very nice and fun to have in your tank as I have a royal pleco, however remember many of the plecos out there that look pretty cool mainly feed on the drift wood and could care less on helping with any algae. Many plecos produce a great deal of waste as well so keep that bottom clean. And good luck

BigAlFromCal
01-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeah, not too worried about algae control. Plants and SAE's really do the job for me there. More of bottom cleaners (along with my clown loaches). The one gold nugget and the 5 clowns are just fine in the 65g, but I'm sure it will be more work in the 180g. The key is keeping a good mix of species, each with a task. I guess the task of the discus is to look good!

White Worm
01-09-2007, 04:24 PM
The important thing is to pick plecos that dont have a reputation for liking slime (BN). One other task a discus is good for.....keeping us busy with the vacuum with all the crap.