PDA

View Full Version : new member

chris025
01-10-2007, 05:04 PM
hey everyone I'm new here and I'm in the process of starting a discus tank and thaught it would be a good idea to join to get advice and ideas and thaughts on discus since I've read alot of material some info is the same some is different there are several thaughts out there.my first question is can you mix more than one color discus in the tank like say 2 blue diamonds 2 yellow and 2 white from what I read I didn't get a postive answer from but it sounds like you can cause I didn't read anywere that you can't either just looking for some thaughts.

Bainbridge Mike
01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Welcome Chris. You can mix and match whatever colors you like! Just be careful about mixing fish from different sellers. It is best to buy all your discus at once from one breeder. That way you minimize your risk of exposing your fish to new or different pathogens. There are lots of great posts here with info for setting up your first tank. Let us know if you have questions and good luck!

Mike

billeagan
01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Welcome! Don't forget to get a QT tank

AADiscus
01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Welcome to Simply. They have already answered...yes u can mix and match. :) You only need a QT tank if you already have discus. But if this is your first discus that you will be getting and the only fish in the tank then you are good to go. Do lots of reading and do ask ?'s if you need anything.

Harriett
01-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Welcome to Simply, Chris!
Harriett

chris025
01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
well thanks for the warm welcome everybody my wife and I have both been reading up on them for about 2 weeks now I think we have been on every site on the net. I have a 55 gal with 3 cichlids in it and my sister in law took them so I started to reconfigure the tank to prepare for the discus. so if I have any questions you guys will be the first we ask. I'm 95% sure that none of the local pet shops have discus and one did say that there setting up a tank for them but don't have them yet and I don't think I want to be there first customer.

Bainbridge Mike
01-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi Chris:

You don't want to get your discus from a fish store. When you are ready, post here and ask about breeders in your area. Probably the most important thing to insure success is to start with good healthy discus!

Cheers,
Mike

swinters66
01-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Welcome to Simply.

Well...I mixed and matched in my tank. I have 2 melons (I think...they are a great orange color. like a dreamsicle ice cream color) a blue diamond, 2 red turqoise, and 2 blue turqoise (although someone told me the larger one looks like a snakeskin).

These all came from the same fish store. A man me and my husband trust. And mine are doing wonderful, bright colored, good eaters so basically...IMO, if you do decide to go with a fish store, make sure they are savvy in the way of discus.

I researched online for months before buying my discus. I asked a million questions and when I found Simply...well it was phenomenal!! No lie...I learned so much here and continue to learn as I go.

Dont be afraid to ask anything here. Youll get good solid answers. And read stickys in every topic. Youll get tips on everything from nutrition, what to look for when buying, tank set ups, etc.

Have a blast!!!

steve.ryall
01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Welcome Chris, loads of help here mate.

Steve

Armandi_Fishcarer
01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Chris, welcome to SimplyDiscus. You will get excellent
advice here which already have gotten from other members.:thumbsup:

I was sitting here writing to you and realised I was swimming
in amongest my discus.:wave:

roclement
01-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Welcome Chris, I am close to the Philly area, if you need any help, let me know! Don't go fish store, that is a sure fire way to get bad fish and get frustrated, order your fish from a breeder, and either have them shipped, or go pick them up. JMO

Rod