PDA

View Full Version : Answers Please

moik
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Hello, everyone .Hope the Holidays were good. To get the point. as of about an hour ago I lost a mature female discus (1 1/2 yr. old)to what I do not know. About three hours ago I see her torwards the top of the tank ,like she was going to eat some food from the surface then I looked closer. She had a red (blood like) on her left gill.Right then and there I checked water params and temp and see if the male was beating her. Nothing wrong. Then I even looked closer (about an hour after the first time) she had little red spots all over her sides (blood like also)with little frayed skin among the red spots, that were not there when I looked the first time. Water params are good, (checked that fist).and a well seasoned filter. She was a mated female, which laid eggs several times. They were trying to get it right(youg pair) This morning everything was fine, she ate and swam around her tank like everything is fine. Water is changed every other day(80%) in a 30 gal tank. Just the pairs is in there. There were no signs or previous trouble at all. All discus droppings were fine, dark in color and did not change at all. I do some routine cleaning(every 3 monthes) I give them a dose of Prazi, just to play it safe. They and all my other fish get fed a WIDE variety of foods. My question to you is what went wrong ,and WHY so fast? Am I missing something, please let me know. Your help will very appreciated. Thank you

greyhoundfan
01-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm not going to venture what went wrong, but if you still have the fish and it still shows signs of what you are describing a photo might be helpful for others to see.

moik
01-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Here are some pictures( far from the best ,sorry) The first one should be of the gill. Notice how red with blood it looks.The second and third show the little red spots (blood like) on the sides. Hope this helps

moik
01-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Sorry the first photo . The gill was not this red when she was alive. I put her into the freezer to keep her ,til I knew what to do .It was only a 1/3 that red.The other side is pretty much the same as for the red spots on the side. No gill damage on other side. thank you

moik
01-11-2007, 10:43 PM
hello, just seeing if anyone has any input on this .

t_j
01-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh,:( I am so sorry you lost her she was a beautiful fish.

Polar_Bear
01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
I can't really tell from your pictures but from your description perhaps a parasite, or if no other fish show anything, perhaps a genetic problem, or she was hormoned, or cancer, or any of a number of things. Obviously I'm just guessing. I agree that it is a shame though, she did look to be a beautiful fish.