PDA

View Full Version : question about heaters?

sublevel007
01-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I just have a question about the Ebo Jager heaters. I have had a 250 watt for about 2 1/2 years now. I have always have had it submerged completly. I was reading the Doctor Foster Smith catalague today and it said it is only submersable to the water line on the heater. I have looked at mine and seen that there is a water line on there. The fish are not unhealthy but can this screw something up to where they wouldn't pair off? Would this be doing harm to the fish. I have no clue. Let me know your thoughts

greyhoundfan
01-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I have read threads regarding this very issue somewhere.. Do a search and maybe you'll find it.

If I remember correctly.. the heaters can be submersed w/o any problems, and it is not marketed here in USA as a submersible heater b/c it isn't UL tested that way. So to CYA they say do not submerse the heater completely. But the very same heater is marketed as a submersible heater in Europe.

Well, I think that's they summary of it.. Or I could have been dreaming.

Woo Hoo.. I wasn't dreaming.. check this thread out..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=50861&highlight=jager

I'm not advocating that you submerse it.. Just wanted to show you thread on where I picked up info.

Elite Aquaria
01-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Ebos are the only heaters I have used and they have been submersed for years with no issues.

Dan

jim_shedden
01-11-2007, 11:23 AM
There is a huge amount of history on Simply regarding heaters and it seems Ebo's the most. Well worth looking into.
At one time a couple of years ago there was a lot of controversy regarding the quality of various heaters and to say the least.........it got very heated.

Jim

Cosmo
01-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Jim,

The wording on the heaters and in the catalogue is simply due to Eheim not getting the heater "approved" as submersible in the US. Guess they didn't want to pay the money.

If you look at a European ad, the exact same heater is advertised as fully submersible and does not have the water level line on the heater.

Why they chose to go that route is beyond me, but all my are fully sumberged with no problems.

Jim

Riche_guy
01-11-2007, 01:07 PM
As previously mentioned, Eheim does not want to pay the extra for the certification. So to protect themselves in North America, they state, "up to the waterline". If anything does happen, they will not be held liable. Petshops often tell you go ahead it is made to be submerged, which it is, if standards are not changed.

sublevel007
01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
word guys thanks for the info

Armandi_Fishcarer
01-12-2007, 12:10 AM
Hi sublevel007, I'd just like to add. I have always submer. my heaters
and have had no problem. If you have a concern and have a meter
guage at hand and know how to use it, it will tell of frequency's discharged.
I personally wouldn't worry, turn off power before placing hands inside tank.

When I placed my hand in the tank one day, I got a shock and found myself swimming shivering next too my favorite Discus, Heater. :jester:(Armandi_Fishcarer)