PDA

View Full Version : discus ???

sonflowerjoela
01-11-2007, 06:17 PM
would 7 discus be able to live comfortable in a 72 gallon tank. Currently have 4 in 72 gallon, and 3 in 55 gallon tank. I want to put them all together, does anyone see any problems with this?

russell
01-11-2007, 06:51 PM
You don't say what size they are!!!!!!!!!

White Worm
01-11-2007, 06:55 PM
How long have you had the different groups? Did they all come from same supplier? Any illness history? Sizes of discus...are they all similar? If no problems in the past and they are similar size, accepted rule is 1 adult per 10g so you would be fine. You may want to keep up on the w/c's to make sure you cover any rise in bio when you add the new fish.

sonflowerjoela
01-11-2007, 08:14 PM
The 4 in the 72 gallon were all bought together. The 3 from 55 gallon, 2 were bought together. One of the two was really sick around Christmas time. He is fully recovered now and very colorful and pushy. One of the fish in the 72 gallon tank is quite a bit bigger than these,but the rest are all basically the same size. The four in 72 gallon have all been in that tank together since last July. The 3 have been together since October. The 4 are a snakeskin or leopard spot discus, 2 of the others I think are red turquoise and one is a cobalt.

sonflowerjoela
01-11-2007, 08:27 PM
This is some of the discus.

Bainbridge Mike
01-11-2007, 08:31 PM
The 4 in the 72 gallon were all bought together. The 3 from 55 gallon, 2 were bought together. One of the two was really sick around Christmas time. He is fully recovered now and very colorful and pushy. One of the fish in the 72 gallon tank is quite a bit bigger than these,but the rest are all basically the same size. The four in 72 gallon have all been in that tank together since last July. The 3 have been together since October. The 4 are a snakeskin or leopard spot discus, 2 of the others I think are red turquoise and one is a cobalt.

I think you should wait a while longer (3-6 weeks) before puting these fish together. Christmas was just a few weeks ago. What was wrong with the sick fish in the 55 and what, if anything, did you use to treat the sick fish? Did you put the sick fish in a qt tank for treatment--or treat her in the 55 with the others?

7 in a 72 is probably ok--unless you have a whole bunch of other fish in the tank with your discus. Do you have substrate in the 72? if so, you will need to do frequent vacuuming once you have all 7 in there. Good luck!

Mike

sonflowerjoela
01-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Here is another of them. I guess I'll have to get pics of the others. :)

sonflowerjoela
01-11-2007, 08:35 PM
The last pic is the fish. That was sick and I don't know for sure what the problem was. I did put it in a QT tank and treated with Life Gaurd for 5 days and that cleared up most of the problem and then I treated it with clout after a couple of days of no meds in water for 2 days.

Armandi_Fishcarer
01-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi sonflowerjoela, you shal be right with 7 in the one tank,IMPORTANT W/C, although like Mike stated that you should wait a while longer as you most probably will infect the others. Don't chuck the fishes in together because the look fine.

I was hospitalized for a couple of months before I was aloud to swim with the
others. :D (Armandi_Fishcarer)

sonflowerjoela
01-12-2007, 08:12 AM
Thank you all! I will wait. I just keep reading how the are better off in shoals and the 7 would make a good shoal. Also there is one in each tank that gets picked on, thinking maybe bigger group might help them both. :)

wolfbane
01-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Joela, good advice there, wait and be patient, it's worth it. I'm betting that when they are all together in the big tank, after the usual posturing and pecking order sort out, they will be a gret group, enjoyable to watch. OH YEAH! That means you will have a free tank for more discus!! Lol!