PDA

View Full Version : Would you classify discus owners as cleanaholics?

traco
01-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I ask as I was away from my tank for 5 days. Planted tank. No water changes and just feeding twice a day. Came home today and knew I needed to change it. My gold pigeon had some markings on his fins which I know from before, is due to water quality.

The discus really are a "canary" for a tank, I find. If the water quality is not there, they definately let you know.

So, would you say that a discus owner is someone who is a cleanaholic? And I mean no offence by stating you are a cleanaholic; for discus, that is a good thing.:D :D

wolfbane
01-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Relative to the aquarium, sure. Just don't look at my house! And Barb, that's one reason to keep Rummy Nosed Tetras, they are a very good "canary" of conditions in the tank, bad water makes their noses fade.:D
My discus also get skittish when I've waited too long for a water change, do yours?

Ardan
01-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Very good point on the "canary" observation, Barb:)
I am not a perfectionist, but I have learned a lot about discus in the last several years, and tank cleanliness is one of the top items I learned, along with wc's.
Ardan

Dillan
01-13-2007, 04:31 PM
As my kids will tell you, I'm almost obsessive about keeping my apartment clean and uncluttered. I come by Discus keeping naturally in that way I think!

mmorris
01-14-2007, 06:53 PM
I used to mop my livingroom floor until I got a python. Now I don't need to! Martha

Dying for Discus
01-15-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm the exact opposite of Dillian. My house looks like a nuke went off in it.

My tanks however....water changes twice daily and super clean!!

Maybe that's why my house is the way it is...hmm. I never thought of it that way. Too bad discus can't clean for me.

dishpanhands
01-16-2007, 06:07 AM
I think what we learn here is to be lazy..We have learned what discus need and how to be lazy and get that..LOL..After all if we were not lazy we wouldn't be use BB tanks. A cleanaholic would have all the bells and whistles in the tank and still it would stay spotless...LOL.

swinters66
01-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Well Im sort of a neat freak around the house, but my discus tank has to be pristine or I get upset.