PDA

View Full Version : Stress in Fish? Yes

Ardan
01-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Here isa good link from the University of Florida (its in our library)on fish stressors that we talk about all the time here and how it leads to fish disease......
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA005
Mainly water quality, diet, not overcrowding, temperature, lights, sounds,
also talks about what protects a fish
slime coat, skin, antibodies....

This is in relation to a fish farm, but is relevant to the discus tank and other fish tanks as well.

Interesting:) , most of it has been talked about on Simply.:)

Did you know the fishes blood pressure goes up, (just like mine:D ), under stress? The fishes blood sugar goes up as ours does when adrenaline is released under stress.Respiration increases.
It states
Disease treatments should never be applied in a haphazard fashion
Ruth Francis-Floyd is listed (she has several articles in the SimplyDiscus Library http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/external/index.shtml )

I thought this was a great article. Stress on a fish causes some of the same results as in humans.:)
Ardan

GrillMaster
01-14-2007, 11:41 AM
I got an error message with that link Ardan. Shame, i would like to read it.

Ardan
01-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Here is a link to that exact article in the SD Library.
http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/general_info/stress.shtml
I thought I had read it , but some things seemed new to me:) .
Ardan

FishLover888
01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
To avoid stress, you need to provided the so called Five Freedoms develpoed by John Webster (1995)

Freedom from thirst, hunger and malnutrition - this is mostly deal with balanced food
Freedom from discomfort - this means water parms, pH, temp hardnes, sanlinity, oxygen, and stock level
freedom from pain, injury and disease - this is to limit sharp objects and agreesive and predatory fish
Freedom from express most normal behavior - this is to provide enough space/hideouts shoal and things like that
Freedom from fear and destress - this is to deal with not spooking the fish and provided ways to lower the fear.

If any of these freedom is taken away, your fish will be stressed. I think these are good points to note when care for our pet fish.

Timbo
01-14-2007, 05:17 PM
actually, there's six:

-Freedom from fear for all tank inhabitants from taking massive dumps immediately upon completion of syphoning out last massive dump

steve.ryall
01-14-2007, 06:41 PM
lol Timbo,I hear you brother :D

Steve

FishLover888
01-15-2007, 11:47 AM
actually, there's six:

-Freedom from fear for all tank inhabitants from taking massive dumps immediately upon completion of syphoning out last massive dump

Well, I did not say anything about discus keeper's stress. We are talking a whole lot more if we are going there.

I find out if you feed the fish first, wait for about 30 minutes or so. Most of the discus will finish their business by then and you can to your syphoning. Of course, there is always next feeding time. I can see we are going around on this one. Should we call us poop sweeper then?

LOL