PDA

View Full Version : New Discus

amishvalerie
01-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi everyone!
I have 4 two year old discus in a well established 46 gal bowfront tank. They range in size from 5-8", and are fed beef heart, tetrabits, and bloodworms. Today I purchased a 3" red leopard and have him qt'd in a 20 gal tank. How long does he need to be there, and what can I expect when I intro him into my established tank? Currently, there is no aggression with my adult discus, but I'm concerned that the baby will get beaten up!
I've followed this forum for a long time, and I don't think I would have even gotten into discus without it, so your advise is valued! Thanks...

Armandi_Fishcarer
01-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi amishvalerie,

Congrats on the newby.

You should quarentine for at least 4-6 weeks before you introduce him in with the others, by that time he may already have put some size on, and any parasites that he may be holding would have been adhered too.

You never know how the others may react as not to confuse you. Some fish get accepted straight away, some get left in the corner or singled out. That is why when you intro.new fish keep an eye out for these things for a few days.

Goodluck!

FishLover888
01-15-2007, 11:51 AM
You are not going to put him in the 46 g tank, are you?

that tank is about max out for the bio load already. An 8" discus can put out a lot for the bio filter to handle.

AADiscus
01-15-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree with the tank being overcrowded but it will also depend on the wc routine. Large daily wc's is what will be needed to keep water quality good and everyone happy and healthy.

April
01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
id say he will get bullied. depending on what other sex yours are..they could pair..or maybe the same sex and your new one may be opposite. hard to say..you could take the other four out..clean your tank..then introduce them all at once so hes not the new guy. id be careful....what most do is introduce one of your older ones..in with the new one after 6 weeks. if he doesnt get sick...then its fine to mix them. some discus can carry pathogens...and not get sick..but if yours arent immune ...then they could get sick.
as stated..youd need to do fairly large wcs daily to keep them from getting stressed with 5 in there.