PDA

View Full Version : Oscars.

architect1
01-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Ok I seen my grandma buy 3 Oscars and well there babies so tiny AN cute. I was thinking.

IF I got 2 baby Oscars or 4 and put them with my adult discus would they be ok. Would the adult discus rear them to be a little more less rambunctious. I noticed that Oscars don't get assish till there adults or maturing. so they would be fine for a couple months till my baby discus get big enough to put in the 55 gallon. Worst thing is they cause trouble bing them back to the pet shop.

has anyone done this? Or am I just crazy. I'm thinking about trying it. people say is possible. Oscars get big but there not like an arowana wont swallow them. I have seen my grandma's adult get messy but they where a pair and spawned. Need your input.

pcsb23
01-15-2007, 04:42 AM
Or am I just crazy.

Yes imo ;)

Don't do it!

Ryan
01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
This isn't something I'd try unless I was really comfortable with oscars and discus. Even if I were going to do something like that, the tank would have to be huge. Oscars are not as passive as other South American cichlids. They tend to bully other fish, even when they're small. I'd say it's a bad idea.

I knew an LFS owner who used to mix baby oscars with angelfish and discus, but it's not something I think I'd try.

Ryan

xanthid
01-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I wouldnt mess witth the oscars. They tend to be very messy eaters from the start and would add alot of bio-load to your tank. Oscars grow pretty fast and alot of pet shops around here wont even take large ones back because of the space needed to keep them and they are difficult to resell at that size.

FishLover888
01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
I have another point to add:
How much it cost for you to buy the discus? How much for oscars? Would you risk over $100 of discus for a $10 oscar?
I will not.
Oscars are known killers. From time to time, you may have one that does not bother some bigger fish. Hey, we can train some cats to play with mouse in some cases. Would you want to trust the cat in that case? Especially if the mouse cost you over $100?

t_j
01-15-2007, 12:33 PM
My sisters boyfriend owned oscars and they killed every other type of fish in the tank. So I'm thinking no thats not a good idea. Why would you want to put some thing like an oscar in the tank with discus any ways? Discus are so beautiful by themselfs. Sorry not a big fan of oscars:p

architect1
01-15-2007, 01:15 PM
I figured Id get this. All vary true points. Thats why I posted before I did. I was just looking at them the other day and there beautiful patterns and shapes got me liken them. I us to feed them crayfish, right to almost a baby mouse. But I didn't feed the mouse cause my grandma thought it was cruel. i figured they be ok till they got a little bigger then plop them into the 55gallon after the babies grew big enough.

Thank you for re telling me that I was crazy. Paul and thank you for you valuable info Forum repliers.

OK well No oscars. Whats other smaller chiclids can I do? I know (kribenza's) sorry about the spelling, and rams are ok there any other ones?

Ryan
01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Kribensis are iffy. When young they can be really peaceful but if they pair-bond you'll be in trouble. Pairs will harass fish much bigger than themselves.

Rams (including Bolivian rams) are good, keyhole cichlids are good... a lot of the Apistogramma would probably work, but they're a whole different world.

As always, make sure you quarantine everything.

Ryan

architect1
01-15-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey ryan I would like to thank you for the response. I have a question about quarantine Can I us a rubber made tub that they sell at walmart for a quarantine tank? I have 5 more fish roughly ON the way and was wondering. I don't have a small tank for quarantine.

If it had a heater and bubbler in it?

swinters66
01-21-2007, 11:12 PM
If you like oscars, get 2 but for a different tank. We used to have 2 oscars in a tank by themselves and they were great. Oscars grow pretty fast so those cute little guys you see wont stay that way for long. They are great in pairs.

They do have some similarities with discus...pretty much their diet is the same (well oscars will eat anything really) and they are able to recognize us. I had one oscar that let me pet it and it followed me if I walked past the tank. Pretty neat. But they are far too aggressive to be kept with discus.

architect1
01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Yeah i know there so much alike just Oscars are so aggressive. Like you can pet them and everything the same way with discus. But unfortunately Oscars grow to almost 1'6" and the discus only get 6 to 10". I know the Oscar would kill the discus. seen them kill perhonas. I wish they could match up. oh well I guess I will have to wait.