PDA

View Full Version : a question from a newbie.

moneyLaw
01-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Hi everyone,

Before I came to this forum and before I did any research on Discus, I saw some discuses in my LFS and bought one. (actually that Discus is the reason I am getting into Discus hobby). That discus has lots of small black dots on the body and around the nose area, and all the discus I see in this forum does not have those. Is that because the fish I bought was not a good quality fish or is those black dots going to disappear when he/she grows up? The fish is about 2.5". Thanks.

I attached the photo of the fish.

btw, thank you all very much for wonderful information on the forum.

Bainbridge Mike
01-18-2007, 05:07 AM
Welcome moneylaw!

The fish you purchased is what we call a "pigeon blood." The black spots you see are called "pepper." There are things you can do to reduce the visibility of peppering--but it will not go away with age. Please surf around on this site and you will get a lot of information about starting your first discus aquarium.

Good luck,
Mike

dishpanhands
01-18-2007, 07:42 AM
If you put that fish in a tank with a light color background maybe some of the peppering will fade, but It won't go away.

LizStreithorst
01-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Money,
As is often the case with lfs Discus, this one is not high quality. He certainly will make you a nice pet. And if because of him you are getting into the Discus hobby, he has done his job admirably. Read, read, read. And when you are ready to purchase more Discus checkin the sponsor section here and see if you can't find one of our good sellers close to where you live.

Kindredspirit
01-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Great post Liz:) Excellent infact~

Welcome Money to Simply Discus!

Marie ~ :coffee:

mmorris
01-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Read, read, read. And when you are ready to purchase more Discus checkin the sponsor section here and see if you can't find one of our good sellers close to where you live.

Sound advice Liz. This one is a real cutie, black spots and all. I suspect that he will only be happy with company, and when you decide to get him some, I highly support Liz's recommendation. LFS discus can bring a lot of heartache. Martha

White Worm
01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
You are in the right place and welcome. When you do get it some friends, dont forget to QT them before mixing them. Even though it isnt the highest quality, it will probably end up being one of your favorites. I still have a couple of the discus that I got from a lfs when I started and they have sentimental value even though they arent perfect. They made it through the early times when I didnt know what I was doing and they deserve to live out their lives in leisure if for that alone, lol. However..... it is most important for you to now look for the highest quality because that will ultimately bring you much more enjoyment in this hobby so check the sponsors or find a local breeder.

moneyLaw
01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it.

GrillMaster
01-21-2007, 03:46 AM
moneylaw.....Can ya go into yer profile an write in where yer from...The members here might just be able to hook you up with some A+ fish!!