PDA

View Full Version : Are These TUBIFEX or CBW??

Kindredspirit
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey guys ~ are these worms Tubiflex worms or CBW?

Marie ~ :coffee:

poconogal
01-18-2007, 01:04 PM
CBW, definitely.

Kindredspirit
01-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah? I knew you wld be the first here woman:) I was hoping! Connie you are 100% positive yes?

AmberC
01-18-2007, 03:20 PM
Yup lol she is sure. Tubifex are like little strands of very thin hair.

poconogal
01-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah? I knew you wld be the first here woman:) I was hoping! Connie you are 100% positive yes?
LOL, Marie, I am 200% sure, and positive, too! :D

Yup lol she is sure. Tubifex are like little strands of very thin hair.
Yeah, they look like little pieces of thread, very fine, all tangled up.
Petland Discounts, a chain store pet place in NY (and other places, I guess) sells both. There's a huge difference in how each looks.

dandestroy
01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
just received my first CBW an hour ago. A litle expensive but I had to try them one time at least.

They looks a lot like yours Marie.

I'm going to try to grow them just in case that it would work.

mmorris
01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Yup, they look just like the ones I dumped all over me the first time I bought them - a full pound clings to linen pretty good!:o Martha

tpl*co
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
See I told you Marie :)

So you think both LFS are selling the same thing and don't know?

Tina

Kindredspirit
01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
Yup, they look just like the ones I dumped all over me the first time I bought them - a full pound clings to linen pretty good!:o Martha

Oh Martha! I feel for you ~ I just now almost did that:(

Kindredspirit
01-18-2007, 10:23 PM
See I told you Marie :)

So you think both LFS are selling the same thing and don't know?

Tina

I do think that perhaps Capitol has cbw but think they are tubiflex....I am not sure tho ~

The reason I asked about this initially was cuz these here look a little smaller than the ones I used to get from Dan in Fresno....

But thanks CONNIE! O.K.A.Y....you too Amber:D Francois, you are going to grow them? UGH! lol!

dandestroy
01-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Francois, you are going to grow them? UGH! lol!

well yeah they are like 40$ CAD for 1lbs here, plus 10$ shiping (its like 42$ US), so I aint gonna buy that stuff very often.

I just wanted to try them once at least.

I'm going to give a shot at growing them, but not likely to suceed form waht I read.

dishpanhands
01-19-2007, 03:37 AM
Not sure but picture 1 and 3 look like tubiflex to me. Tubiflex look more red then black worms..If they are the color of red worms they are tubiflex..somtime cameras make the color off, and maybe thats what I'm seeing..here is a link to sombody that sales both and have pictures of both. They are not very clear but hope ya can see the difference in the color..

blackworms..

http://www.wormman.com/pd_california.cfm

tubiflex..

http://www.wormman.com/pd_tubifex.cfm#

HTH

dishpanhands
01-19-2007, 05:06 AM
I want to tell ya. I have never got worms from them. I was just hunting for the picture...

Timbo
01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
hi marie!

do the smaller ones you just got look that much different than
the ones you used to get?

btw: i think its tubifex, not tubiflex ... :)

Kindredspirit
01-19-2007, 09:20 AM
hi marie!

do the smaller ones you just got look that much different than
the ones you used to get?

btw: i think its tubifex, not tubiflex ... :)

Hey Tim! It is......tubifex:o oops! Thank Ya! No they do not look that much dif Tim...I have not gotten them in a long time tho ~ Just paranoid I guess ~ should have just stuck with Dan again I suppose but it was too expensive ~

That one pic just looks redder due to the flash I think! It is all the same slimey little suckers:)

Thanks Tim:)

Marie ~ :coffee:

JeffreyRichard
01-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Based on the picture, I'd guess these are TUBIFEX, not black worms. Tubifex are normally red, do to the high levels of hemoglobin. This makes them able to thrive in poluted environments.

Blackworms are ... black. So unless the picture color is off, they are likely tubifex.

brewmaster15
01-19-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm leaning towards those being tubifex as well...best guess.

Marie,
The two can look very similar... one note is a behavioral difference as described by Dr. Charles Drewes, probably the foremost expert on Blackworms..

In nature, Lumbriculus uses its head to forage in sediments and debris, while its tail end, specialized for gas exchange, often projects upwards. When possible, the worm stretches its tail vertically to the water surface where it forms a right angle bend and breaks the water surface tension. This posture facilitates gas exchange between the air and the pulsating dorsal blood vessel lying just beneath the epidermis. This respiratory behavior markedly contrasts with that of tubificid worms, which often undulate their tail ends as they protrude from burrows in sediments well below the water surface.
source...http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/DrewesC/htdocs/Lvgen4.htm

maybe place some in a shallow dish of water and watch their behavior after a few hours:)

-al

Kindredspirit
01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Al ~ you really think so? Omg! I have been feeding these nasty things man! They are not really that red and I know I stated this before ....they are dark...that one pic is with the flash ~

I will read your link asap Al ~ Today is my Monday ~

Thanks Al ~

Kindredspirit
01-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Based on the picture, I'd guess these are TUBIFEX, not black worms. Tubifex are normally red, do to the high levels of hemoglobin. This makes them able to thrive in poluted environments.

Blackworms are ... black. So unless the picture color is off, they are likely tubifex.

Jeff ~ no they are not that bright honestly ~ they are very dark red almost black...

oh Dear....lol!

AmberC
01-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm leaning towards those being tubifex as well...best guess.

Marie,
The two can look very similar... one note is a behavioral difference as described by Dr. Charles Drewes, probably the foremost expert on Blackworms..

source...http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/faculty/DrewesC/htdocs/Lvgen4.htm

maybe place some in a shallow dish of water and watch their behavior after a few hours:)

-al

That is very interesting! Its really amazing the things we learn to take care of our fish!

Amb

JeffreyRichard
01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
The live tubifex I am familiar with are generally smaller than the cbw ... CWB tend to be about the same thickness as bloodworms (which are of course NOT worms but midge fly larva) ... TW are more like a heavy reddish thick thread ... use a sewing needle as a reference; the TW are about that size ... CBW are significantly thicker

poconogal
01-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Aw, Marie... I've had to feed tubifex to wild discus in the past, as that's what they were being fed, until I could wean them onto other foods. I also feed CBW. You have CBW. Tubifex are not nearly as thick as the worms in your pic, more like hair thickness like Amber said, so don't worry. And every batch of CBW I've purchased were dark, like your middle picture, with a slight tinge, sort of, of red.

mmorris
01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
`In nature, Lumbriculus uses its head to forage in sediments and debris, while its tail end...'
That's so interesting. I will check mine as soon as I get home. I hope the two ends look dissimilar. I will look for the smile. :D Martha