PDA

View Full Version : mated pair

dogday7
01-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I have 6 young discus, and two f them have paired up. They have spawned 4 times so far, no young ones, just wrigglers once.
They are all in a 90 gal tank, they just spawned again last night again, and i put a devider in the tank so the pair have half the tank for them selves.
I was going to move the other 4 to another tank.
My question is will the mated pair be OK in a 90 gal tank by themselves,
from now on with out company of the others.
John

Cosmo
01-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Kind of tricky situation you got there John. The pair would probably be alright in the 90, but the size of it might lend itself to some little one's wandering off and getting lost. I'd suspect you'd also be tempted to grow them out some in the 90, but the juvies would start literally eating the parents alive once they got past the fry stage.

Then, you'd have 4 Discus in another tank, not really a good number.

My leaning would be to get a nice 29 or 30 BB (or use a 55 if you already have one available for the others) tank setup for the pair then buy ourself another 4 or 5 juveniles to keep the other 4 company in the 90. Then again, if you end up with a good size successful spawn the 90 would make a good growout tank ;)

You said young, but how young are these two that are spawning?

Jim

dogday7
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I think they are about 8 to 9 months, I've had them for 5 months, they were about 2 1/2 inches when i got them, they are about 5 1/2 inches now.
John

Cosmo
01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
At that age, my guess is it will be a few months before you get a viable spawn, but at the same time, you don't want to frustrate them either :( and keeping them all together (all 6) would probably lead to a lot of disruption in the tank.

Jim