PDA

View Full Version : Discus lighting

FairyDiscus
01-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Is an overtank luminaire okay to raise young Discus? I will get the t8 bulbs and the lowest wattage. If these are unsuitable which lighting should i get?

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 07:07 AM
The light isn't important to the fish, but the more light the more algae..
HTH

FairyDiscus
01-22-2007, 07:30 AM
okay thanks. I was just told that Discus dont like bright lights. I will go with the lowest wattage i can find.

dishpanhands
01-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Well I have heard that too, but if they can't handle alot of light they wouldn't be a good fish for plant tanks...

Cosmo
01-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Although I personally agree that Discus should be kept under low lights, there are a lot of members who strongly disagree with that.. even some who are apparently successful with Discus in planted tanks.

I use 50/50 bulbs at only about 1 watts per 3 gallons of water. Doesn't make for the best pics, which is one of the reason I post very few.

The lighting is primarily to satisfy a perceived need of the person keeping the tank, at least up to a point, the fish will adjust (would strongly suggest against hi-intensity compacts or metal hailites, though I suspec some members may even argue that point).

Jim

FairyDiscus
01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
I was going to buy an arcadia luminaire with two t8 tubes.

GrillMaster
01-24-2007, 12:33 AM
Discus will adapt to the lighting you give them IMO. If you have flood lights on them, they might not settle in very well.

In a low tech planted tank with 1 wpg - 1 1/2 wpg for 6-8 hours, they will adapt to the same thing day in a day out. They know once the light comes on they are gonna eat!

GrillMaster
01-24-2007, 12:34 AM
(would strongly suggest against hi-intensity compacts or metal hailites, though I suspec some members may even argue that point).

Jim

I wont!! :)