PDA

View Full Version : how to kill gill flukes

jj zak
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Hi to all,
I been in the discus hobby for over 16 years and never had a problem with gill flukes until now. For the first time ever I finally purchased some discus over the internet. I was always afraid to do this because I am very picky when it comes to picking out my discus.But to my supprise they sent me some very nice AAA discus and I could not have been any happier.Unfortunatly one of the discus they sent me was breathing rather rappidly.At first I thought it was just stressed from the flight to my house but after two weeks it is still breathing like this. At times it even makes a spitting action with it's mouth like its trying to dislodge a gill fluke. The fish is eating fine and acts otherwise normal. I gave it a one hour bath in formalin-3[formaldehyde less than 3%] but the fish still has the breathing problem. Does any one think this is gill flukes and if it is should I use a better treatment such as Praziquantel[droncit]?By the way ,the fish does not rub or scratch its self against objects in the aquarium which I heard is a common sign of gill flukes.

billeagan
01-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Use Prazi Pro for gill flukes

Polar_Bear
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
If it isn't flashing or you don't see extended gill filiments sticking out beyond the operculum, I have doubts that it is gill flukes. Two good treatments for flukes are Formalin (at 37%) or PP (Potassium Permanganate) at 2 ppm - 4 ppm. Either will kill gill flukes quickly. If it were me I would treat this single fish in a seperate tank.

Harriett
01-23-2007, 01:13 PM
About a year ago I got some new juvies; shortly later while in QT, a couple developed the same sx you are describing. I figured it was flukes, treated with formulin, and the sx did not resolve. I rested the fish with lots of water changes and a bit of salt and then treated with antibiotic (furan II I believe) and the results were great....in fact, I think they had a gill infection, not a parasitic infestation....just a possibility to think of if your fluke regimen is not having any effect.
Bet regards
HArriett