PDA

View Full Version : Humidity Reading ??

alpine
01-24-2007, 06:11 PM
What would be the prefered humidity level reading in the fishroom inside your house ?? (not in garage )
Thanks,
roberto.

Graham
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Keep it below 50% or expect mold amd mildew.......

alpine
01-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Graham, thanks for the response. I think 50 % is too high , I know at that % I will get into all kinds of trouble w/ mold etc. I just wanted to know what the discus keeper that has had an interest in humidity readings has kept in their fishrooms inside the house and if he or she varied the % according to seasons.
Thanks,
roberto.

Graham
01-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Roberto, My koihouse which houses 2 holding tanks 2500 and 750 averages 67% this time of the year and has no mold problems...mind you the windows are running...if I allow that same humidity during the summer with 90* temps in there I will have problems...the walls will be running....lots of mildew

I just brought the monitor into the back room which has the aquariums in it...it's currently 69* with a humidity of 59% ...too high. It feels ''damp/clingy'' in there ....so 50% is a decent nimber to aim for....just remember that de-humidiers are not cheap to run....The one on the koihouse runs 24/7

alpine
01-24-2007, 10:51 PM
If anyone "has kept their fishrooms inside the house " I would like a reply from them . Graham, thanks again for sharing.

roberto.

jpfelix
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
i don't have a pure "fishroom", but my stuff is confined to one corner of the basement. if the localized humidity gets close to 60% it gets "stuffy" and i air it out (turn on fans). i've not noticed any mold/mildew.

alpine
08-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Update on Humidity level in my fishroom. I keep it at 30 % with one humidifier unit. Empty bucket twice a day.

roberto.

korbi_doc
08-19-2007, 11:20 AM
:antlers: Hey Roberto, el al, I never gave humidity a thought when I set up my fishroom...it was supposed to be a carport, but I enclosed it, tiled floor with a drain, 3 windows that are never opened, & a walkway into the house all inside...it is a high ceiling....now the tanks are set up; 110g, 125, 90, 37, 55, & 4 20's.....I've not noticed a humidity problem yet, do run a unit for heat & AC like the hotels use in the rooms.....will this be a future problem when I add tanks later do you think?...what else would be necessary for that type setup?......Dottie ;)

what type/brand meter does one use for humidity?

alpine
08-19-2007, 12:42 PM
Dottie, my fish room is inside my house above the garage, it is carpeted . I do want to take any chances with mold...etc and the higher humidity elevates the temperature (the dehumidifier does too, but not as much). Most likely your A/C unit which works as a dehumidifier is keeping your humidity in check just by itself. My room stays pretty much 30-31% and a temperature of 80 overall.

roberto.

jspan
08-19-2007, 01:06 PM
My fish room has about fifty tanks 10 to 55 gal.If you are concerend about humidity and are planning on having a fishroom for a while you should invest in a air exchanger.they are expensive but are worth it in the long run.I have had mine for eight years runs 24/7 . you can look at them at jehmco.com

korbi_doc
08-19-2007, 07:19 PM
:) Roberto, the temps outside here have been triple digits for weeks, av 'bout 105, & I run the AC only during the day & it feels fine.....guess you are right, the unit is doing well...
Jspan, I will look into the air exchanger if it becomes a problem, been lucky so far, maybe cuz I don't have near that # of tanks in the room, lol.... Dottie ;)

jman
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I may be wrong but I thought I heard on one of those radio home improvement shows that the humidity in a home should never get below 40% if at all possible.

Skin care, general health, plants, etc.

JM