PDA

View Full Version : I THINK ITS CHILODONELLA

Elaine_Bryant
01-27-2007, 11:50 PM
I have the discus in a 10 gallon quarantine and need to change water often, I have maracide with directions of 2 capfulls per 10 gallons on days 1, 3 and 5. so how can I treat them and still maintain the water changes? If some other medication would work better I could get it tomorrow but for tonite all I have is the maracide. thanks a million

ShinShin
01-28-2007, 02:01 AM
I don't recall the active ingredient in that medication. Can you post it? I am a believer in formalin/malachite green for protozoans.

Mat

fishmama
01-28-2007, 09:17 AM
Malachite green and Chitosan are the active ingredients in Maracide.

hth
Lisa

Elaine_Bryant
01-29-2007, 12:15 AM
I started dosing with the malachite green (maracide) and added a capful of melafix instead of using salt last night and already the fish are better. I'm sure its chilodonella (how in the world do you pronounce that) and I think now the little guys have a chance. Should have taken a refresher course on discus! Anyway, I've raised the temp to 88, hope thats enough. thanks

Graham
01-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Leave the melafix out and just use the Maracide......follow the dosing protocol exactly and forget the water changes while you're treating, or compensate with the chem if you are doing them.

What makes you think that this is Chil....this bug usually shows up in colder water and kills fast??

G

Elaine_Bryant
01-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Graham, o.k. I'll leave out the melafix, they are doing alot better now. This all happened when I bought some new fish ( I hadn't bought any discus in 5 years) and forgot the one most important rule...QUARANTINE. April was right when she said the fish probably were infected with it when we bought them and they came from dirty cold water at the LFS. What they had sure looked like ick but when we had discus before I thought ick wouldn't live in the discus higher temp. Anyways the malachite green worked and I at least (fingers crossed) saved 4. A very costly lesson I sure don't intend to repeat. Thanks to everyone for the help, without it I couldn't have saved any.