PDA

View Full Version : How much heater do I need?

PDX-PLT
01-28-2007, 04:26 AM
Unlike discus, the humans in my house like things cold. The room the proposed 75 gal. tank would reside in can be expected to stay at 65 degrees for many hours at a time (this is the night time thermostat setting in the winter, and often stays that way during the day, too). Yea, I know those of you living in Florida find this incomprehensible, but you should hear what we think about Florida summer weather sometimes, ;)

So assuming I get two heaters, is a 2 X 250W setup too much? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to be lacking in capacity to keep the water at a discus-comfy temperature, either.

Riche_guy
01-28-2007, 04:39 AM
Unlike discus, the humans in my house like things cold. The room the proposed 75 gal. tank would reside in can be expected to stay at 65 degrees for many hours at a time (this is the night time thermostat setting in the winter, and often stays that way during the day, too). Yea, I know those of you living in Florida find this incomprehensible, but you should hear what we think about Florida summer weather sometimes, ;)

So assuming I get two heaters, is a 2 X 250W setup too much? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to be lacking in capacity to keep the water at a discus-comfy temperature, either.

I don't think it is too much. I have 600w divided for my two water barrels in the garage. They maintain the water at 86 degrees. But if you want to be certain, experiment. Try two 200 watts and see if can maintain 86 at night. Also try two 250s and perhaps a combo 200 and 250 w. Which ever works best keep and the rest return.

poconogal
01-28-2007, 07:02 AM
I have a 75, and just like you, at night my house temp is 65, as it is for many hours during the day while we're at work. (We leave at 5 am and my husband returns at 5 pm.) I have a 300W heater, an inline Hydor ETH and my tank temp ranges 84.7 to 84.9. I wasn't sure 300W would be adequate at first, but it has proven to be just fine. Two 250W heaters should be more than adequate, and at least if one should fail, the other 250W will keep your temp from falling too much.

Bainbridge Mike
01-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Two-two hundred watt heaters would be fine for a 75 gallon in a room at 60 to 65 degrees. My basement gets even a little cooler than that and my 75s do fine with 400 watts.

Cheers,
Mike

PDX-PLT
01-29-2007, 02:45 PM
OK, 'sounds like there's no need to go over 2x200 watts maximum. Thanks. I didn't want to go too high, in case the heater fails stuck in the "on" position.

FishLover888
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
3 w per gallon is good enough for most people. You may want to have 2 heaters instead of one, just in case one goes crazy on you and you will not have too much problem in a short period.

Set one heater a bit lower than the other, that way the 1st one is pulling most of the weight and the 2nd one will kick in when water temp dorps a bit more.

I have two 200w heaters in my 125 g tank and there is no problem keeping water temp at 86F. The room temp is about 70F.

Cosmo
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
just keep in mind the heaters will be on all the time. Either get yourself some very good quality heaters that won't burn out on you, or hook your heaters to an external controller. I have 3 x 250 watts in my 90 gal hooked to a controller.. chances are slim to none that everything will fail and cook the fish, and the water temp stays nice and even that way. And I don't let the ambient air get anywhere near 65.. brrrr

Jim

Polar_Bear
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
As usual Jim (Cosmo) is practising over kill IMO (not that there is anything wrong in this). I was the one who recommend to Connie that one Hydor ETH 300 was enough for her tank, since this is exactly what is on all 4 of my 75 gallon tanks in our basement fishroom. I have a single 350 watt heater on our 125 gallon tank and the temp never deviates, but that tank is in the house proper. During the winter we let the house get down to 62F at night and 68F during the day (the basement is obviously a bit cooler than this) and again we never have problems with our tank temps (I need to note that all of the 75 gallon tanks are on one rack and so they probably are helping each other to stay at an even temperature). All of the above is just my long winded way of saying "two 200 watt heaters is probably more than enough for your 75 gallon tank".

poconogal
01-30-2007, 02:28 PM
All of the above is just my long winded way of saying "two 200 watt heaters is probably more than enough for your 75 gallon tank".
Uh huh..... --------------------------------> running away :p

Yes, it was Larry who recommend the 300W Hydor ETH inline heater, and I'm very glad he did! I love, love, love it, Larry, and never an issue with the tank temp. PDX, I'm sure two 200W heaters are more than enough.

PDX, are you running a canister filter by any chance? If so, I'd give the Hydor ETH a try. Only one heater, and out of the tank, which is great.

Connie

PDX-PLT
01-31-2007, 04:56 AM
PDX, are you running a canister filter by any chance? If so, I'd give the Hydor ETH a try. Only one heater, and out of the tank, which is great.

Connie

I was planning to use a cannister. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it; it wasn't something I knew about.

I don't have the tank yet and I'm trying to get educated first. I need to build the stand first: my "main" hobby is woodworking, so I'm picky enough to think that most stands are awful-looking things I wouldn't want in my living room, and those that are tolerable are ridiculously overpriced.

poconogal
01-31-2007, 09:51 AM
I was planning to use a cannister. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it; it wasn't something I knew about.

I don't have the tank yet and I'm trying to get educated first. I need to build the stand first: my "main" hobby is woodworking, so I'm picky enough to think that most stands are awful-looking things I wouldn't want in my living room, and those that are tolerable are ridiculously overpriced.
Yes, I hear you. Tank cabinets can be very expensive, especially to someone who can build his own!

If you do get the Hydor ETH, 300 W should be just fine for the 75 g tank since you have the same temp conditions in your home as I do and I have no problem maintaining tank temp in my 75.

Cosmo
01-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, Larry's correct, I pratice in over-kill, in fact, I've made it into an art form :D Let us pray none of those single in-line heaters ever fails in the middle of a cold wintery night :angel:

And.. I'd say you're also correct in stating the close proximity of the tanks help keep each other up to temp as well. A luxury others may not enjoy ?

Jim

poconogal
01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes, Larry's correct, I pratice in over-kill, in fact, I've made it into an art form :D Let us pray none of those single in-line heaters ever fails in the middle of a cold wintery night :angel:

And.. I'd say you're also correct in stating the close proximity of the tanks help keep each other up to temp as well. A luxury others may not enjoy ?

Jim

Hey Jim! I figure it this way, some of my Discus were shipped to me and ultimately arrived in 60 degree water and had no problems, so several hours of a failed heater shouldn't be a problem! Others arrived in 75 degree water, thankfully, still no problems. :) I also have a digital thermometer and high and low temp alarms, so at least while I'm home it should be okay.