PDA

View Full Version : nervous

grelot
01-31-2007, 09:04 PM
I have a tank (90 gallon) with 10 young adults. They are ranging from 4.5 to 6.5 inches.
I have them since a year and a half in this tank. They are in good shape, eating well etc. But since a week they are nervous. This is not in their habits. They use to come in front of the glass whenever I enter the room begging for food. Instead of that now the go hide whenever there is a knock or when I do a move they dont like. When one get nervous they all start to panick and smash in the glass.
What could cause them to be nervous since a week???
I didnt change Aything. There is nothing new in the tank etc.

Any ideas??

Greg Richardson
01-31-2007, 09:36 PM
If water is alright etc.........
Have you changed the lighting in the room or on tank?

traco
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Stray current maybe?

Graham
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Whats changed in the last week, something did...new water, new water source, new holding tank for aging water, new kind of de-chlor, Are you using a hand lotion or a medicated cream, anything being sprayed in the room or the house, ...............

The fearlessness can usually be attributed to toxins in the water...try AC and see what happens

G

grelot
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I cannot think of something taht could have changed recently.

Sorry but what does AC stands for???

brewmaster15
02-01-2007, 12:50 PM
activated carbon?

I'd check all water parameters and do some major water changes.. what do you normally do in these tanks?

Nitrates have been known to cause skittish behavior in discus.

Lighting changes, shadows and glare.. as the year progresses...the suns angle moves.. maybe its hitting the window or tank now?

parasites.. its not uncommon for discus to become skittish as the numbers of parasites increase to the point of irritation.

hth,
al

brewmaster15
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Is this the tank of fish that had the fluke issues?

-al

billeagan
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I'd look at your water parameters... Have you cleaned the filter lately? Maybe you over cleaned?

grelot
02-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Is this the tank of fish that had the fluke issues?

yes. They had fluke when I first got em but this more thatn a year and a half ago. They show no typical symptoms of fluke.

Ther is one that stay out of the group alone in its corner but I think it is because it is the runt of the tank and is bullied.

I'll check the nitrates.

No I have no carbon. The filter got cleaned maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

Maybe it is because they are being aggressive to each other what do you think?? can it make them nervous?? They are now adults and there is some bullying in the tank. Maybe they are too thight, what do you think??